Re: [existlist] the question of faith...

  • Jared Frailey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19 3:16 PM
      > Why do certain people not need religion
      > and others do? Why do
      > some people need faith and others do not?

      Some people need religion because it provides answers
      to unanswerable questions, and it provides a formula
      for life. I know one person (actually, a good friend)
      who told me that he believes in god because it makes
      life easier. He thinks that religion will tell him
      how to live, without having to think or live for
      himself. As you can tell, he is a truly honest
      person. :-)

      On a side note: I discussed anarchism with him, and he
      told me that I was probably right. But he had to add
      that he supported the government because it allowed
      him to not have to worry about taking care of things
      for himself. This comment came from a discussion on
      who would maintain the roads, and I explained that
      individuals or communities would have to decide since
      anarchism is about voluntary self-organization.

      I guess religion attracts people who want to slide
      through life...
      Best Regards,
      Jared

      --- Ray Zur <cyberg0th@...> wrote:
      > What part of rural east Tennessee? I live in
      > Maryville, right outside of
      > Knoxville. Anyways, my point is that if certain
      > people believe they are
      > strong enough to not depend on a God or God-type
      > being (not just religion in
      > the Christian ideal) do they need religion?
      > Personally, I believe that I,
      > as an individual, am strong and independent enough
      > to not have to depend on
      > the mercy and care of an omnipitent and all powerful
      > being. I take pride in
      > my accomplishments, and more pride in the fact that
      > they are MY
      > accomplishments and I didn't depend on anyone or
      > anything else to help. Why
      > is this? Why do certain people not need religion
      > and others do? Why do
      > some people need faith and others do not? I am not
      > trying to say that those
      > who go to church (or temple, or whatnot) are not
      > strong enough individuals
      > to act on their own, I am wondering why they feel
      > the need to believe in
      > something greater than themselves? I am not saying
      > faith is illogical,
      > though it is (however I am not a logical person), I
      > am saying that faith is
      > good if you need it to function in everyday life.
      > Here's my personal quote,
      > it sums up the entirety of my feelings about
      > religion and God: "I may have
      > lost my faith in God, but I've never had more in
      > myself." Any comments,
      > criticism, or questions are more than welcome,
      > constructive though...
      > -Jason

    • T Brooks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24 2:59 AM
        Please remove me from this list
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24 3:00 AM
          Please remove me from this list
        • Tom J
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24 2:32 PM
            I haven't really got time to say much. However, since when did faith in god
            automatically equate to weakness? I know some very strong Christians.
            People die from advocating their beliefs all over the world.

            Also, many people turn to god when the going gets really tough?.....it seems
            they only believe when they feel helpless. It could be argued that they do
            not have the strength to commit to a firm belief in god and the faith that
            comes from it in every day life.

            Finally, who made personal freedom an absolute criterion through which the
            validity of actions should be judged? Does anything we do actually only
            effect us? Everything we do through choice is surely an advocacy of a
            way of behaving. The more popular a particular action or inaction becomes,
            the more prevalent and acceptable it becomes. "Passive brainwashing" if you
            like.

            I think the belief in god also requires belief in yourself and faith in your
            own abilities. Being subservient to deity doesn't necessarily negate your
            worth. In fact, many would argue that it fulfils it.

            Tom