Re: Existentialism and the necessity of God...

  • Susan Silver
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2000
      This all depends on what you mean by "religion." If you are speaking
      of religion as the agent of morality and idealism, then my opinion is
      that religion is so woven into the fabric of our very beings that we
      cannot even conceive of a world without it. Some would say that law
      and society and government could be considered substitutes for
      religion, but aren't they all in some way based on an underlying
      system of belief? If you say that humanity "should not" be dependent
      on an underlying morality, isn't that in itself an assertion of our
      dependence?

      On the other hand, if you view religion empirically as a group of
      rituals practiced to honor an Unseen Something that is greater than
      we are... Living in rural East TN, I have seen many strange things.
      I've seen people speak in tongues and handle copperheads and drink
      strychnine and do many other things that I probably shouldn't post
      here. They all come away unharmed or mostly unharmed. Why? I don't
      know. Would they live without doing these things? Yes. And probably
      for a longer length of time. But they would be living in the least
      meaningful sense of the word. I personally think that the practice of
      such things stems from a kind of sick desperation, but these things
      satisfy some desire that the worshippers have. That's the key. There
      is a REASON that faith-oriented religious life exists whether because
      of sickness of a sort or the influence of the Almighty. Religious
      faith is necessary as long as there is a need for it.

      In short, my answer is "Yes."

      Tirade ended,
      Susan