RE: [existlist] (unknown)

  • Tim Arnold
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
      I would contrast the difference between 'knowledge' and 'meaning'. As
      our knowledge of our place in the world has deepened through scientific
      understanding (the means of knowledge 'par excellence', our sense of
      meaning has not grown proportionately. The humanistic dream of the
      sciences being emancipatory has not occured. They tell us nothing
      important about our place in the world. Philosophy sold itself short
      when it nailed it's colours to the natural sciences, as underlabourer,
      at least in the Anglo-American tradition, which has long been obsessed
      with epistemology. It has been left to the 'Continental' tradition to
      address questions of meaning, which of course existentialism does. The
      problem is, existentialism is a term that can refer to so many
      positions, and "meaning" is derived from many different sources. As I
      see it, the knowledge provided by the natural sciences forces us to
      consider anew questions of meaning and to acknowledge the freedom - and
      responsibility - of human beings to create their own meaning.

      I didn't really understand the bit about metaphor.

      gleinich

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2002
        mehra666,

        I think "meaning" cannot be found in Existentialism. The philosophy of
        Existentialism provides a "means" but not a "meaning". The latter is more
        individualistic and each must find this for himself/herself. From my own
        point of view, I feel that "meaning" should come from a recognition of one's
        role in relation to society.