  • mehra666
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
      in have question .what is "meaning" in informayive society.in regard
      to in infomation relationship every word reduce to minimum power,in
      being metaphor.now how u see this exsitential position.
    • Tim Arnold
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
        I would contrast the difference between 'knowledge' and 'meaning'. As
        our knowledge of our place in the world has deepened through scientific
        understanding (the means of knowledge 'par excellence', our sense of
        meaning has not grown proportionately. The humanistic dream of the
        sciences being emancipatory has not occured. They tell us nothing
        important about our place in the world. Philosophy sold itself short
        when it nailed it's colours to the natural sciences, as underlabourer,
        at least in the Anglo-American tradition, which has long been obsessed
        with epistemology. It has been left to the 'Continental' tradition to
        address questions of meaning, which of course existentialism does. The
        problem is, existentialism is a term that can refer to so many
        positions, and "meaning" is derived from many different sources. As I
        see it, the knowledge provided by the natural sciences forces us to
        consider anew questions of meaning and to acknowledge the freedom - and
        responsibility - of human beings to create their own meaning.

        I didn't really understand the bit about metaphor.

        gleinich

        in have question .what is "meaning" in informayive society.in regard
        to in infomation relationship every word reduce to minimum power,in
        being metaphor.now how u see this exsitential position.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Eduard Alf
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2002
          mehra666,

          I think "meaning" cannot be found in Existentialism. The philosophy of
          Existentialism provides a "means" but not a "meaning". The latter is more
          individualistic and each must find this for himself/herself. From my own
          point of view, I feel that "meaning" should come from a recognition of one's
          role in relation to society.