Whether religion is a necessity at this point in human evolution.

  • jonsonben@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2000
      Hello all,
      I find it interesting that many people have pushed the issue of a
      God and morality/ethics when posed the question on the necessity of
      Religion. Many people brought up the point of realitive morality and
      our tendancy to look at things through our own perspective. This is
      shown quite well in the responses to the initial question. Although
      there are many religions most people focused on the issue of a
      God...and it seem a Christian one at that. Well here are my thoughts
      on the question.
      I have always had the trouble of understanding exactly what a
      religion is. I suppose it is an organized belief that tries to
      explain our existence..and so on. I think that right now...religion
      is a necessity for many people. Whether it is Hinduism,
      Christianity,
      Judaism, and etc... many people find comfort in believing that there
      is some higher order.
      Someone brought up the point of whether or not we are all a God.
      Well...I think we don't want to admit such a burden on ourselves.
      Instead we claim an opinion..and back it up with what ever is in our
      intellectual arsenal. So....if we all become a God...and we rely on
      our own belief system...it would appear that religion is still a
      necessity. We claim our own system and worship it.
      I think that once we stop thinking about questions such as
      morality or our own being...then we will no longer need religion.
      Sorry if this is a bit jumbled...but if you have any response to this
      I would be glad to clarify..and... gulp...dear GOD...admit I am
      wrong:) Bye for now.