Re: [existlist] Digest Number 158

  • Randy Zeitman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2000
      >A group of individuals came up with our
      > > current morality, therefore it has no more meaning
      >> than an opinion.

      Nothing has meaning in-of-itself...it's meaning is given through
      agreement (Language). That's what Existentialism is...things don't
      have meaning or significance (essensce) before they are defined
      (existance).

      Existance preceeds Essence.

      >Doesn't morality almost entirely begin and end with other people? What good
      >is a "personal morality".

      Survival.

      >What is often termed as "brainwashing" is inevitable, you can't remove it.
      >Even if you think that you have formed your own opinions, they were surely
      >not based on totally original thoughts? We will still always, to an extent,
      >be cogs in a machine.

      Well said. When's the last time an 'independent thinker' invented new
      concepts (and words) to describe what hasn't been described before?

      I think, as science, that human behavior has been 'fixed' and
      well-defined for quite a long time...I'm just taking the components
      that exist, making them my own (this is called 'understanding') and
      going off thinking I'm really the first one to think these thoughts.

      >The uneducated are already developing a sense of what is right and wrong and
      >the fact that it has no moral basis derived from respect for a superior
      >being makes it all the more catastrophic. Directionless futility.

      I agree with that too!...if there's no shame (fear) then the person
      developes survival skills (morals) which are grounded in fearlessness!
      --

      Signature......
      "In the best relationships sex is the booby prize."

      "I'm gotten so out of shape sittin' at the computer all day that I
      get out of breath when I have to reach for the percent key!"

      - Zeitman