RE: [existlist] Imbalances in your life

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2002
      Yulian,

      I grant that what you say is true ... in the sense that you can do whatever
      .. even in Canada. My point was that there is more beyond the individual.
      You can achieve an internal balance, but there must also be an external
      balance. No man is an island [as someone once said] and there is a social
      component, just as there is a nature component. You don't sow seeds in the
      Fall, no matter how good you are at it. Similarly, not taking baths,
      wearing rags and putting earrings in your eye brows may the thing you like
      to do and I may give you personal satisfaction, but it is hardly something
      to do if you wish to work for IBM. In Daoism, one tries to be in harmony
      with what is outside the self, as well as finding one's own balance.
      Harmony means with everything so that you do not enter into frustration.

      It is like when I last visited England. I enjoy good conversation at a bar,
      but in Canada we normally sit down and talk. In England, they usually stand
      up .. they even stand at soccer games. I could not get in harmony with
      their social practice and felt totally out of place.