Re: [existlist] Existentialism and the necessity of God...

  • Jared Frailey
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 18 12:52 AM
      I'm not sure I could handle others thinking I am a
      "looser." :-) That is part of the problem: people
      should not worry about what other people are doing, or
      what other people will think. Success and failure,
      like good and evil, are terms for the individual to
      define. What I consider good may not be your idea of
      good, and what I consider to be an achievment may not
      be your idea of an achievment.

      I can't help it, I have to quote Thoreau: "Why should
      we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such
      desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace
      with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a
      different drummer. Let him step to the music which he
      hears, however measured or far away."

      >I don't think you live anywhere near Silicon Valley
      >, SF or NY?
      Actually, I live in the Bible Belt: Oklahoma to be
      exact.

      Regard,
      Jared

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 18 8:44 AM
        Jared Frailey <lostmaia@...> writes:

        > You should live your life the way that you want others
        > to live. If your opinions are right, people should be
        > drawn to them on their merits, and not because they
        > "should" or "ought" to do or think something. To me
        > morality and ethics are a way for society to say you
        > "should" do this, but you "shouldn't" do that.

        But isn't that really the POINT of morality and ethics? We speak often of a moral
        or ethical "duty", but what is that except an idea of what we feel we "should" or
        "must" do. By living your life "the way that you want others to live", you are
        saying that were anyone in your exact situation, you would want them to (i.e.
        you believe they "should") do exactly what you decide to do.

        > The ideas of morality and ethics need to be
        > demystified. A group of individuals came up with our
        > current morality, therefore it has no more meaning
        > than an opinion.

        One cannot forget the history behind our moral and ethical "system", however. (Do
        we really even have a system? Laws, religion, I guess. Anything else?) These
        "opinions" may be flawed, but they are not completely devoid of merit. One could
        say "you've come a long way, baby" since the days of slavery. I would also arge
        that we have a long way to go. (Down with capital punishment!) I'm not saying,
        we give in and "go with the flow". I mean, just look at what the "Mitmachen" did
        to Germany in the 30s & 40s. I AM saying that we need to give morality a little
        more credit than "an opinion".

        > If left to their own devices, the
        > uneducated would most likely develop a sense of right
        > and wrong.

        But who's to say it's the "right" sense of right and wrong? It would just be
        another group of people, coming up with a morality for you to question.

        > Remove the brainwashing of man by society,
        > government, and religion, and you will have a new
        > species of man able to decide what is "right" for
        > himself, and what is "wrong."

        Even the Aborigines have a sort of society, government, and religion. And my big
        question is: does society, religion, etc. determine morality, or does morality
        determine society, religion, etc. This has always made for interesting
        discussion. Kind of a "Did Adam have a navel?" or "Which cam first, the chicken
        or the egg?" question.

        > You may laugh at the notion of brainwashing, but as a
        > child I never questioned the ideas of patriotism,
        > marriage, government, capitalism, war, prisons, etc...
        > Once I realized that the sources of my information
        > were biased, I developed my open opinions. I see a
        > society without gods, religions, and governments as a
        > society with man thinking for himself.

        Go anarchy! *gg*

        Anyways, that was my first post to the list, so nice to meet you all. Can't wait
        for more good discussions!

        Bis dann,

        Amber

        * * * * * * * * * * * * *
        "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an
        independent will, which I now exert to leave you." -Jane Eyre
        * * * * * * * * * * * * *
        Amber Griffioen
        griffioe@...
        amber_griffs@...
        http://www.geocities.com/amber_griffs
      • Tom J
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 18 12:34 PM
          Doesn't morality almost entirely begin and end with other people? What good
          is a "personal morality".

          What is often termed as "brainwashing" is inevitable, you can't remove it.
          Even if you think that you have formed your own opinions, they were surely
          not based on totally original thoughts? We will still always, to an extent,
          be cogs in a machine.

          The uneducated are already developing a sense of what is right and wrong and
          the fact that it has no moral basis derived from respect for a superior
          being makes it all the more catastrophic. Directionless futility.

          Tom
        • Jared Frailey
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19 2:06 PM
            > By living your life "the way that you
            > want others to live", you are
            > saying that were anyone in your exact situation, you
            > would want them to (i.e.
            > you believe they "should") do exactly what you
            > decide to do.

            I believe everyone has the prejudice that they are
            right, and everyone else is wrong. :-) What I was
            trying to say is that if your opinion is that
            important to you, you shouldn't try to convert someone
            to your ideas but set an example. For example, I
            consider myself to be a pacifist. I don't believe in
            the use of violence for any purpose, but I arrived at
            this opinion on my own. By practicing pacifism, I set
            an example for humanity. The difference between my
            opinion and morality is that my opinions will not be
            maintained by the use of coercive measures by society,
            government, and religion. After all, coercion is
            violence. :-) And another difference between my
            opinions and morality is that I don't view my opinions
            as something "sacred." I can always change my
            opinions, but changing morality is almost impossible
            (I'm exaggerating). In other words, I am against
            morality, but I am for personal ideals and opinions.

            >I AM saying that we
            > need to give morality a little
            > more credit than "an opinion".

            I will give you that point: Morals are opinions with a
            history. :-)

            > But who's to say it's the "right" sense of right and
            > wrong? It would just be
            > another group of people, coming up with a morality
            > for you to question.

            Is there a right one? No. And why would it be a
            group effort? I have my own personal values, and they
            should have their own. As long as the individual
            isn't harming another person's freedom, the individual
            should not be restrained by morality or laws.

            > Even the Aborigines have a sort of society,
            > government, and religion. And my big
            > question is: does society, religion, etc. determine
            > morality, or does morality
            > determine society, religion, etc.

            My guess is that morality came first. :-)

            > Go anarchy! *gg*
            >
            > Anyways, that was my first post to the list, so nice
            > to meet you all. Can't wait
            > for more good discussions!

            Actually, I do consider myself to be an anarchist. I
            fit somewhere between an Individualist Anarchist and a
            Communist Anarchist. :-)

            Best Regards,
            Jared
          • Jared Frailey
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19 2:27 PM
              > Doesn't morality almost entirely begin and end with
              > other people? What good
              > is a "personal morality".
              What good is a personal morality? Whatever good the
              individual can get out of it. I tend to enjoy
              producing my own morals (opinions, ideals, etc.)

              > What is often termed as "brainwashing" is
              > inevitable, you can't remove it.
              > Even if you think that you have formed your own
              > opinions, they were surely
              > not based on totally original thoughts? We will
              > still always, to an extent,
              > be cogs in a machine.

              I concede that "brainwashing" is inevitable if you are
              in contact with other individuals, society, religion,
              or government. My opinions are not based enitirely on
              my own original thoughts, but the formation of my
              opinions was an active venture: I sought and analyzed
              the opinions of others. Morality is an inactive
              process: the individual absorbs the opinions of
              others.

              > The uneducated are already developing a sense of
              > what is right and wrong and
              > the fact that it has no moral basis derived from
              > respect for a superior
              > being makes it all the more catastrophic.
              > Directionless futility.

              Catastrophic in what way? Is it because they are not
              developing in a direction that you would have them go?

              The uneducated people, that I know personally, derive
              all of their values and morals from their church, the
              members of their church, and other community members.
              This to me does seem directionless. My ideal would be
              where every individual decided what would be "good"
              and "evil" to them personally. There seems more
              personal direction in my ideal, but societal,
              governmental, and religious direction would fade.

              Best Regards,
              Jared
            • Amber Leigh Griffioen
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 20 8:19 AM
                Jared Frailey <lostmaia@...> writes:

                > The uneducated people, that I know personally, derive
                > all of their values and morals from their church, the
                > members of their church, and other community members.
                > This to me does seem directionless. My ideal would be
                > where every individual decided what would be "good"
                > and "evil" to them personally. There seems more
                > personal direction in my ideal, but societal,
                > governmental, and religious direction would fade.

                So if I go through an exhaustive mental process and decide that, to me personally,
                it would be OK to hit another person in the head with a baseball bat, you'd
                support that because it was my own personal idea of "good"? Because as soon as
                you step in and say it's not OK, you are imposing some sort of moral law over me.

                Sorry if I'm nitpicking,

                *Devil's Advocate*

                * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20 2:30 PM
                  As long as you are not harming another person's
                  freedom, you should be free to act on or think what
                  you wish. I wouldn't be allowed to lock someone in a
                  cage or kill them, but I would be free to do anything
                  that does not harm another person's freedom. :-)

                  --- Amber Leigh Griffioen <griffioe@...> wrote:
                  > Jared Frailey <lostmaia@...> writes:
                  >
                  > > The uneducated people, that I know personally,
                  > derive
                  > > all of their values and morals from their church,
                  > the
                  > > members of their church, and other community
                  > members.
                  > > This to me does seem directionless. My ideal
                  > would be
                  > > where every individual decided what would be
                  > "good"
                  > > and "evil" to them personally. There seems more
                  > > personal direction in my ideal, but societal,
                  > > governmental, and religious direction would fade.
                  >
                  > So if I go through an exhaustive mental process and
                  > decide that, to me personally,
                  > it would be OK to hit another person in the head
                  > with a baseball bat, you'd
                  > support that because it was my own personal idea of
                  > "good"? Because as soon as
                  > you step in and say it's not OK, you are imposing
                  > some sort of moral law over me.
                  >
                  > Sorry if I'm nitpicking,
                  >
                  > *Devil's Advocate*
                  >
                  > * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                  > "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free
                  > human being with an
                  > independent will, which I now exert to leave you."
                  > -Jane Eyre
                  > Amber Griffioen
                  > griffioe@...
                  > amber_griffs@...