RE: [existlist] an afterthought

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2002
      Existentialism isn't about depression or anxiety in the traditional sense...
      though I think Kierkegaard can be blamed for casting that long shadow over
      Continental Philosophy. The "anxiety" is the knowledge that you and you
      alone are responsible for your choices -- that you can't always blame fate
      or other people for manipulating you. Frankl and May come to mind, in
      existential psychology: there are no valid excuses for a "dangerous" or
      "anti-social" behavior once you are aware of it.

      I love life, but I am also aware that some of my negative acts are mine -- I
      own what I have done and what I am. Dwelling on that "anxiety" is not what
      Sartre or any of the 20th-century philosopher/writers had in mind. It's
      merely a moment of anxiety not some long, depressing life. Choices count,
      then you move on once you make them.

      It's hard to explain the lexicon of existential philosophy, or continental
      schools in general, when many of us have been raised (me, too) in English
      Analytical systems.

      - CSW