Just a quick, and somewhat unphilosophical, comment!

  • james tan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2002
      From: "Christopher Bobo" <cbobo@...>
      To: "Wisdom Forum" <WisdomForum@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [WisdomForum] Just a quick, and somewhat unphilosophical,
      comment!
      Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:25:45 -0800

      SWM wrote:
      >>Are we the only list (at least of those I've seen) that
      actually seems to be "doing" philosophy? And if so, what explains
      that? Is it our willingness to challenge one another? To really
      debate hard issues? To not shy away from the controversial? Or is it
      all just due to chance (and/or that I have simply I missed the more
      substantial lists here)? -- SWM<<

      Yes, it's a sad state of affairs for philosophy in some of those groups. I
      personally think many groups consist largely of members who actually know
      very little about philosophy, not even that to which these groups are
      dedicated. Participation in many of them is a horrific waste of time for
      that very reason. Sometimes, I think members of these groups heard about a
      certain philosophy at a cocktail party or something of that nature such as
      reading a blurb about Kierkegaard or Wittgenstein in a magazine or newspaper
      and then, thinking it would be cool to join a group about Kierkegaard or
      Wittgenstein, join one of these groups. And some people have a knowledge of
      philosophy that is an inch wide and an inch deep, for instance, where they
      have only read one philosopher and that was plenty for them.

      On the other hands, some of these groups are so refined that unless you know
      a particular philosophy backwards and forwards there is no use participating
      in the group. I think the Husserl group is like that. It's for serious
      Husserl scholars only, IMHO.

      I hope that this group is sustained by intelligent discussion by
      knowledgeable participants. I trully think that cyperspace can open new
      doors and avenues for philosophy, taking it out of the ivory tower and
      enabling it to flourish in new and diverse places.

      I think we should be appreciative to Tommy for sharing his
      communicationalism philosophy with us. Even if we think it has
      problems--and I surely do--it's made me think about thinks a little
      differently, which might be taken as at least partial validation of Tommy's
      theory.

      Hope to hear from you again soon. It's really the groups participants that
      keep the discussion going in the right direction.