Existentialism and the necessity of God...

  • Ray Zur
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17 4:02 PM
      I'd like to start a debate as to whether religion is actually a necessity at
      this point in human evolution...opinions?
      -Jason
    • Susan Silver
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19 11:35 AM
        This all depends on what you mean by "religion." If you are speaking
        of religion as the agent of morality and idealism, then my opinion is
        that religion is so woven into the fabric of our very beings that we
        cannot even conceive of a world without it. Some would say that law
        and society and government could be considered substitutes for
        religion, but aren't they all in some way based on an underlying
        system of belief? If you say that humanity "should not" be dependent
        on an underlying morality, isn't that in itself an assertion of our
        dependence?

        On the other hand, if you view religion empirically as a group of
        rituals practiced to honor an Unseen Something that is greater than
        we are... Living in rural East TN, I have seen many strange things.
        I've seen people speak in tongues and handle copperheads and drink
        strychnine and do many other things that I probably shouldn't post
        here. They all come away unharmed or mostly unharmed. Why? I don't
        know. Would they live without doing these things? Yes. And probably
        for a longer length of time. But they would be living in the least
        meaningful sense of the word. I personally think that the practice of
        such things stems from a kind of sick desperation, but these things
        satisfy some desire that the worshippers have. That's the key. There
        is a REASON that faith-oriented religious life exists whether because
        of sickness of a sort or the influence of the Almighty. Religious
        faith is necessary as long as there is a need for it.

        In short, my answer is "Yes."

        Tirade ended,
        Susan