Re: [existlist] Camus

  • Victoria
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2000
      roy, you are absolutely right about the bigger and bigger
      picture...from the neutron to the mass...however, the question still
      stands...having a purpose means that you could derive operating
      principles from a system, an ecosystem or any organization of masses?
      vs

      --- In existlist@egroups.com, roy <royjem@n...> wrote:
      > Hello victoria,
      > I wonder, do you think that if an Enzyme in a cows digestion system
      knew
      > it's helping him digest weeds it would give a meaning to it's life?
      or
      > would he think to which operating principles does the cow belong to
      and
      > weather she has her meaning as well? and so on....
      > Even if we had the tools to know the larger picture of our
      surroundings and
      > the physical rules by which they work, the question would still
      stand
      > regarding the larger picture, wouldn't it? As long as that is the
      way the
      > question is phrased...
      >

      > At 20:52 2000-04-03 +0000, you wrote:
      > >I am currently reading "The Myth of Sisysphus" by Camus and I am
      > >having a great deal of pleasure in doing it...However, I would like
      > >to place the following question for this group:
      > >I think that human life, belongs like any other form of life, to a
      > >global ecosystem and we may even extend it to the whole physical
      > >universe. So if this is indeed the case, does the universe contain
      > >some operating principles from which we may derive some values by
      > >which we may judge whether life has a meaning?

    • chiquita_chique
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 23, 2002
        Has anyone read "L'├ętranger" (I'm not sure if it has a different
        title in english) by Camus?? I'm researching the themes in this book
        and have come up with absurdity and existentialist theories of life,
        but I can't seem to expand on my ideas. Anywyas if anyone has any
        ideas please post them. I would really appreciate it.
        thank you,
        Anna
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2004
          "and I found I have not kept the same face for any two people"With
          the much anticipated finale of "Friends" to finally air, I am left
          to contemplate what I now consider the final facit of maturity. When
          you are no longer a collage of your friends, when you present your
          own visiage, you have ascended to adulthood.
          I understand many never achieve adult status. I think surviving some
          real and possibly lethal life hurdles are gateway events.
          It is comfortable to live as a valued member of a close knit group.
          Ethnic , extended familys can provide such environments. In many
          ways those who enjoy such lives are fortunate prople but perhaps
          never individuals. Then again once you have crossed the river of
          concupisance there is never a return. Bill
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2004
            Bill,
            All is still well. Some things go too deep for speech. See you
            continuingly on the bright side.
            Louise

            > "and I found I have not kept the same face for any two people"With
            > the much anticipated finale of "Friends" to finally air, I am left
            > to contemplate what I now consider the final facit of maturity.
            When
            > you are no longer a collage of your friends, when you present your
            > own visiage, you have ascended to adulthood.
            > I understand many never achieve adult status. I think surviving
            some
            > real and possibly lethal life hurdles are gateway events.
            > It is comfortable to live as a valued member of a close knit
            group.
            > Ethnic , extended familys can provide such environments. In many
            > ways those who enjoy such lives are fortunate prople but perhaps
            > never individuals. Then again once you have crossed the river of
            > concupisance there is never a return. Bill
          • Mary Jo
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2004
              Dr. Bill,

              Please clarify: <Then again once you have crossed the river of
              concupisance there is never a return.> The word is hotly debated
              amongst bible thumpers. I assume you mean it in the sexual sense.
              Do you mean ...

              (1) once you've survived the lusty days, you don't want to go back
              (2) once the hormonal flow slows, it's all over
              (3) once you reach puberty, you should begin to grow up
              (4) none of the above, you crazy lady

              Jo

              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2004
                I mean it in the general sense of a knowledge of good/evil,
                right/wrong, self/other, nievte/carnal knowledge. Bill
              • Mary Jo
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2004
                  Oh.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 18, 2004
                    Biggie, I think a rebel picks up a pen ,a revolutionary picks up a
                    rifle. A nihilist rejects parts or all of basic systems,they may
                    be philosophical, theological or political ect, ect. An absurdist
                    denies the possibility of the existance of ordered systems.
                    The nihilist can assemble ordered systems from the parts he finds
                    cogent and usable. The absurdist denies any proof for the very
                    existance of whole or parts.
                    The absurdist cannot rebel because he accepts no things to rebel
                    against.He is like a child in the void thinking a pure thought
                    that has no substance.
                    The nihilist may proceed to revolution should his nihilism exceed
                    the available. Indeed he cares little for order beyond his need for
                    an itenary for procurments of necessary parts.
                    All in all I find the absurdist a Buddist and the nihilist a man
                    trying to decide if he should light the fuse to the bomb. Bill