Re: [existlist] Camus

  • roy
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 1999
      Hello victoria,
      I wonder, do you think that if an Enzyme in a cows digestion system knew
      it's helping him digest weeds it would give a meaning to it's life? or
      would he think to which operating principles does the cow belong to and
      weather she has her meaning as well? and so on....
      Even if we had the tools to know the larger picture of our surroundings and
      the physical rules by which they work, the question would still stand
      regarding the larger picture, wouldn't it? As long as that is the way the
      question is phrased...

      At 20:52 2000-04-03 +0000, you wrote:
      >I am currently reading "The Myth of Sisysphus" by Camus and I am
      >having a great deal of pleasure in doing it...However, I would like
      >to place the following question for this group:
      >I think that human life, belongs like any other form of life, to a
      >global ecosystem and we may even extend it to the whole physical
      >universe. So if this is indeed the case, does the universe contain
      >some operating principles from which we may derive some values by
      >which we may judge whether life has a meaning?

    • Victoria
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2000
        roy, you are absolutely right about the bigger and bigger
        picture...from the neutron to the mass...however, the question still
        stands...having a purpose means that you could derive operating
        principles from a system, an ecosystem or any organization of masses?
        vs

        --- In existlist@egroups.com, roy <royjem@n...> wrote:
        > Hello victoria,
        > I wonder, do you think that if an Enzyme in a cows digestion system
        knew
        > it's helping him digest weeds it would give a meaning to it's life?
        or
        > would he think to which operating principles does the cow belong to
        and
        > weather she has her meaning as well? and so on....
        > Even if we had the tools to know the larger picture of our
        surroundings and
        > the physical rules by which they work, the question would still
        stand
        > regarding the larger picture, wouldn't it? As long as that is the
        way the
        > question is phrased...
        >

        > At 20:52 2000-04-03 +0000, you wrote:
        > >I am currently reading "The Myth of Sisysphus" by Camus and I am
        > >having a great deal of pleasure in doing it...However, I would like
        > >to place the following question for this group:
        > >I think that human life, belongs like any other form of life, to a
        > >global ecosystem and we may even extend it to the whole physical
        > >universe. So if this is indeed the case, does the universe contain
        > >some operating principles from which we may derive some values by
        > >which we may judge whether life has a meaning?

      • chiquita_chique
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 23, 2002
          Has anyone read "L'├ętranger" (I'm not sure if it has a different
          title in english) by Camus?? I'm researching the themes in this book
          and have come up with absurdity and existentialist theories of life,
          but I can't seem to expand on my ideas. Anywyas if anyone has any
          ideas please post them. I would really appreciate it.
          thank you,
          Anna
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2004
            "and I found I have not kept the same face for any two people"With
            the much anticipated finale of "Friends" to finally air, I am left
            to contemplate what I now consider the final facit of maturity. When
            you are no longer a collage of your friends, when you present your
            own visiage, you have ascended to adulthood.
            I understand many never achieve adult status. I think surviving some
            real and possibly lethal life hurdles are gateway events.
            It is comfortable to live as a valued member of a close knit group.
            Ethnic , extended familys can provide such environments. In many
            ways those who enjoy such lives are fortunate prople but perhaps
            never individuals. Then again once you have crossed the river of
            concupisance there is never a return. Bill
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2004
              Bill,
              All is still well. Some things go too deep for speech. See you
              continuingly on the bright side.
              Louise

              > "and I found I have not kept the same face for any two people"With
              > the much anticipated finale of "Friends" to finally air, I am left
              > to contemplate what I now consider the final facit of maturity.
              When
              > you are no longer a collage of your friends, when you present your
              > own visiage, you have ascended to adulthood.
              > I understand many never achieve adult status. I think surviving
              some
              > real and possibly lethal life hurdles are gateway events.
              > It is comfortable to live as a valued member of a close knit
              group.
              > Ethnic , extended familys can provide such environments. In many
              > ways those who enjoy such lives are fortunate prople but perhaps
              > never individuals. Then again once you have crossed the river of
              > concupisance there is never a return. Bill
            • Mary Jo
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2004
                Dr. Bill,

                Please clarify: <Then again once you have crossed the river of
                concupisance there is never a return.> The word is hotly debated
                amongst bible thumpers. I assume you mean it in the sexual sense.
                Do you mean ...

                (1) once you've survived the lusty days, you don't want to go back
                (2) once the hormonal flow slows, it's all over
                (3) once you reach puberty, you should begin to grow up
                (4) none of the above, you crazy lady

                Jo

                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2004
                  I mean it in the general sense of a knowledge of good/evil,
                  right/wrong, self/other, nievte/carnal knowledge. Bill
                • Mary Jo
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4, 2004
                    Oh.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 18, 2004
                      Biggie, I think a rebel picks up a pen ,a revolutionary picks up a
                      rifle. A nihilist rejects parts or all of basic systems,they may
                      be philosophical, theological or political ect, ect. An absurdist
                      denies the possibility of the existance of ordered systems.
                      The nihilist can assemble ordered systems from the parts he finds
                      cogent and usable. The absurdist denies any proof for the very
                      existance of whole or parts.
                      The absurdist cannot rebel because he accepts no things to rebel
                      against.He is like a child in the void thinking a pure thought
                      that has no substance.
                      The nihilist may proceed to revolution should his nihilism exceed
                      the available. Indeed he cares little for order beyond his need for
                      an itenary for procurments of necessary parts.
                      All in all I find the absurdist a Buddist and the nihilist a man
                      trying to decide if he should light the fuse to the bomb. Bill