Re: [existlist] Camus

  • roy
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 1999
      Hello victoria,
      I wonder, do you think that if an Enzyme in a cows digestion system knew
      it's helping him digest weeds it would give a meaning to it's life? or
      would he think to which operating principles does the cow belong to and
      weather she has her meaning as well? and so on....
      Even if we had the tools to know the larger picture of our surroundings and
      the physical rules by which they work, the question would still stand
      regarding the larger picture, wouldn't it? As long as that is the way the
      question is phrased...

      At 20:52 2000-04-03 +0000, you wrote:
      >I am currently reading "The Myth of Sisysphus" by Camus and I am
      >having a great deal of pleasure in doing it...However, I would like
      >to place the following question for this group:
      >I think that human life, belongs like any other form of life, to a
      >global ecosystem and we may even extend it to the whole physical
      >universe. So if this is indeed the case, does the universe contain
      >some operating principles from which we may derive some values by
      >which we may judge whether life has a meaning?

    • Victoria
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1 10:02 PM
              roy, you are absolutely right about the bigger and bigger
              picture...from the neutron to the mass...however, the question still
              stands...having a purpose means that you could derive operating
              principles from a system, an ecosystem or any organization of masses?
              vs

              --- In existlist@egroups.com, roy <royjem@n...> wrote:
              > Hello victoria,
              > I wonder, do you think that if an Enzyme in a cows digestion system
              knew
              > it's helping him digest weeds it would give a meaning to it's life?
              or
              > would he think to which operating principles does the cow belong to
              and
              > weather she has her meaning as well? and so on....
              > Even if we had the tools to know the larger picture of our
              surroundings and
              > the physical rules by which they work, the question would still
              stand
              > regarding the larger picture, wouldn't it? As long as that is the
              way the
              > question is phrased...
              >

              > At 20:52 2000-04-03 +0000, you wrote:
              > >I am currently reading "The Myth of Sisysphus" by Camus and I am
              > >having a great deal of pleasure in doing it...However, I would like
              > >to place the following question for this group:
              > >I think that human life, belongs like any other form of life, to a
              > >global ecosystem and we may even extend it to the whole physical
              > >universe. So if this is indeed the case, does the universe contain
              > >some operating principles from which we may derive some values by
              > >which we may judge whether life has a meaning?

            • chiquita_chique
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 23, 2002
                Has anyone read "L'├ętranger" (I'm not sure if it has a different
                title in english) by Camus?? I'm researching the themes in this book
                and have come up with absurdity and existentialist theories of life,
                but I can't seem to expand on my ideas. Anywyas if anyone has any
                ideas please post them. I would really appreciate it.
                thank you,
                Anna
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4 1:16 PM
                  "and I found I have not kept the same face for any two people"With
                  the much anticipated finale of "Friends" to finally air, I am left
                  to contemplate what I now consider the final facit of maturity. When
                  you are no longer a collage of your friends, when you present your
                  own visiage, you have ascended to adulthood.
                  I understand many never achieve adult status. I think surviving some
                  real and possibly lethal life hurdles are gateway events.
                  It is comfortable to live as a valued member of a close knit group.
                  Ethnic , extended familys can provide such environments. In many
                  ways those who enjoy such lives are fortunate prople but perhaps
                  never individuals. Then again once you have crossed the river of
                  concupisance there is never a return. Bill
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4 2:19 PM
                    Bill,
                    All is still well. Some things go too deep for speech. See you
                    continuingly on the bright side.
                    Louise

                    > "and I found I have not kept the same face for any two people"With
                    > the much anticipated finale of "Friends" to finally air, I am left
                    > to contemplate what I now consider the final facit of maturity.
                    When
                    > you are no longer a collage of your friends, when you present your
                    > own visiage, you have ascended to adulthood.
                    > I understand many never achieve adult status. I think surviving
                    some
                    > real and possibly lethal life hurdles are gateway events.
                    > It is comfortable to live as a valued member of a close knit
                    group.
                    > Ethnic , extended familys can provide such environments. In many
                    > ways those who enjoy such lives are fortunate prople but perhaps
                    > never individuals. Then again once you have crossed the river of
                    > concupisance there is never a return. Bill
                  • Mary Jo
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4 2:27 PM
                      Dr. Bill,

                      Please clarify: <Then again once you have crossed the river of
                      concupisance there is never a return.> The word is hotly debated
                      amongst bible thumpers. I assume you mean it in the sexual sense.
                      Do you mean ...

                      (1) once you've survived the lusty days, you don't want to go back
                      (2) once the hormonal flow slows, it's all over
                      (3) once you reach puberty, you should begin to grow up
                      (4) none of the above, you crazy lady

                      Jo

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4 4:20 PM
                        I mean it in the general sense of a knowledge of good/evil,
                        right/wrong, self/other, nievte/carnal knowledge. Bill
                      • Mary Jo
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 4 4:41 PM
                          Oh.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 18, 2004
                            Biggie, I think a rebel picks up a pen ,a revolutionary picks up a
                            rifle. A nihilist rejects parts or all of basic systems,they may
                            be philosophical, theological or political ect, ect. An absurdist
                            denies the possibility of the existance of ordered systems.
                            The nihilist can assemble ordered systems from the parts he finds
                            cogent and usable. The absurdist denies any proof for the very
                            existance of whole or parts.
                            The absurdist cannot rebel because he accepts no things to rebel
                            against.He is like a child in the void thinking a pure thought
                            that has no substance.
                            The nihilist may proceed to revolution should his nihilism exceed
                            the available. Indeed he cares little for order beyond his need for
                            an itenary for procurments of necessary parts.
                            All in all I find the absurdist a Buddist and the nihilist a man
                            trying to decide if he should light the fuse to the bomb. Bill