Re: Part I

  • james tan
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2002
      well said..

      From: "Christopher Bobo" <cbobo@...>
      To: "Wisdom Forum" <WisdomForum@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [WisdomForum] Re Re: Part I
      Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:01:29 -0800

      Gina:

      Leaving the realm of Kierkegaard for a moment, I never said that people were
      perfect, nor did I claim that there were no deviants or criminals or people
      that are morally corrupt or weak. Nor did I even say that those who try to
      conduct themselves generally speaking in an ethical fashion might not on
      occasion commit engage in some unethical conduct. Surely there are such.
      Fortunately, I think that most of the time most peope try to behave
      ethically--at least where I'm from. If we lived in a world where most
      people did not behave ethically, the world would be a very different
      different place. The exceptions would become the rule: your food would be
      poisoned, children would routinely be molested at school, airplanes would
      fall out of the sky constantly because they were not properly maintained,
      buildings would collapse on top of us because they were poorly constructed
      and those responsibility for inspecting them took bribes rather than
      actually ensured that the building met the appropriate codes. I really
      think a world in which unethical conduct predominates is a world that would
      be largely dysfunctional. That's why ethical systems employe sanctions and
      punishments to ensure compliance with their norms.