Re: Harry and THE EXISTENTIAL TIMES - Vol 1., #1

  • Lewis Vella
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2002
      > >"Harry L. Stille" <hlacour@...> wrote

      > >Dear Lewis - What about that common expression one
      > finds in the workplace -
      > >"mindless work?" Normally, that refers to a type
      > of work that does not
      > >require thought. I think some people do dull,
      > repetitious work (tasks),
      > >while thinking about other things than the work
      > they are doing, and if so,
      > >what does that have to do with your question? Have
      > you never done some
      > >task,
      > >while sort of daydreaming, and then suddenly
      > noticing how much time had
      > >passed? Unless of course one considers
      > daydreaming, the same as thought.

      Dear Harry,

      My question is one of reification. What exactly is the
      process that sustains free thinking, and can such a
      process ever be commoditized, as, say, sustenances,
      like energy? The reason for the question is that if
      somehow we can make thought into a commodity, we could
      then better account for our needs and perhaps create a
      more user-friendly economic system. Perhaps, thought,
      though, is too abstract -- maybe body activity would
      be better a place to start. How much energy is
      required of a man who spends 60% of his time sitting
      still in a think tank, be it in a room, under a tree,
      in a library, or whatever? And what does such a man,
      to go on living this way, require for his sustenance?
      Moreover, what may a just, advanced society have
      available, in the form of a fair, equitable exchange,
      that such a free-thinking person may attain the exact
      required sustenance he needs, whereby, having
      alleviated his burden, he can now get back to what he
      does best, that is to rest his mind and allow his
      fecund thoughts to take wing -- much like the humming
      bird may be doing in reverse, while it stands still in
      the air?

      Lewis

      http://sports.yahoo.com