The Transcendence of The Ego by Sartre

  • michael5th
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2013
      I have read the essay above by Sartre and would like to get people's input on ...in what ways is the "I" of one's ego a form of "escapism"? Any input appreciated, as I am trying to understand this particular essay and how it relates to escapism.

      Thank you!.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2013
        Here are just a few resources. The first link is to a photocopy of the text itself. The following links are to pages within books in which the authors address to some extent the very question you ask. I haven't read the essay, However at a glance, it appears escapism is related to the bad faith Sartre develops in "Being and Nothingness" —an escape from the anguish of the freedom of consciousness.

        http://twileshare.com/uploads/The_Transcendence_of_the_Ego_-_An_Existentialist_Theory_of_Consciousness_(Sartre).pdf

        http://tinyurl.com/nll6t9r
        http://tinyurl.com/n697s4r
        http://tinyurl.com/oyxjzbv
        http://tinyurl.com/m9yl42d

        Mary

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2013
          The file share site link doesn't work. Try this one instead if interested in text itself.
          http://tinyurl.com/lkvrf68