Bad faith chapters' link & caveat

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2013
      I've noticed a few errors in the transcription of the Bad Faith chapters for the link. Here is a photocopy of the chapters, although it will be more time consuming to present excerpts from them accurately by having to compare them.

      Link for the photocopy:

      http://tinyurl.com/kcsmhfu

      Here are a couple quotes from Chapter 1 which buttress Webber's assertion that Sartre is not condescending toward his examples of bad faith.

      "It is best to choose and to examine one determined attitude which is essential to human reality and which is such that consciousness instead of directing its negation outward turns it toward itself. This attitude, it seems to me, is bad faith (mauvaise foi)."

      "Even though the existence of bad faith is very precarious, and though it belongs to the kind of psychic structures which we might call "metastable," it presents nonetheless an autonomous and durable form. It can even be the normal aspect of life for a very great number of people. A person can *live* in bad faith, which does not mean that he does not have abrupt awakenings to cynicism or to good faith, but which implies a constant and particular style of life. Our embarrassment then appears extreme since we can neither reject nor comprehend bad faith."