Re: Fixed nature

    Message 1 of 171 , Jul 22, 2013
      Thanks, Jim. I hope to hear from you soon.

      Where eduard often 'comes from' is the 'so what?' perspective of jaded existentialists, in that this freedom to make ourselves and our meaning seems old hat. In other words, we've come so far in terms of freedom of choice and that passe expression 'identity crisis,' we wonder if existentialism is still valid. Eduard will correct me if I've misrepresented his stance.

      What remains radical about Sartrean existentialism is still not easily understood. His work to uncover phenomenological and ontological structures of self-consciousness emphasizes nothingness and freedom in order to actualize our world much differently. Choosing an identity, an occupation, and embracing atheism are only a beginning. Sartre does what most philosophers do—destroys assumptions. Of course, I know I'm not that table (in-itself); but the process of reaching this transcendence (going beyond) implies something about consciousness: it is a negating (for-itself) kind of being. Yes, that waiter is acting too waiter-esque, the woman too coy, the speaker very speaker-esque. But why? The answer lies between the emptiness of self-consciousness and the gaze of others—the wrong belief we have of ourselves: we are this thing.

      But if we have no fixed identity; if nothingness co-exists with being; if consciousness is an emptiness—then anything is possible. Freedom is a terrifying responsibility because it appears so abstract, when it is the most concrete quality of consciousness. Freedom precedes values as existence precedes essence. It is an untangling and unlearning of what we assume about our being. We are not a given essence; we are an existence.

      The only reason 'changing our scripts' can work is because self-consciousness is empty, is for-itself, is free.

      > Well said, Mary!
      >
      > I am now back home with a bit of time to view the internet. I read Eduard's latest set of replies this morning and I was thinking of replying to him all these lines, but you beat me to it.
      >
      > Jim

    • daveylee40
      Message 171 of 171 , Aug 25, 2013
        It seems to me that we are limited to the qualities and capacities of humanness as supplied by the natural state of being human. Other than that, I personally cannot conceive of a fixed nature or essence.