Re: [existlist] The point

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2013
      I would suggest that if one cannot get the idea from sources like SparkNotes
      and Wikipedia or from others, then Sartre has not adequately explained his
      concept. It should not take reading 800 pages of text to get the point. If
      bad faith or mauvais foi takes 800 pages, then it is too complex to be
      worthy of consideration.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
        I agree that important ideas should be presented clearly but also understand the difficulty of unraveling centuries, if not millennia, of confusion and complexity. It's no easy task to unlearn, yet once accomplished concepts seem simple to understand.

        For example, Sartre meant to contrast Descartes' "Cogito ergo sum" with his own understanding which is: I doubt, therefore I am. He needed to show that belief in what we think about ourselves is not actually belief but rather doubt or troubled belief—bad faith.

        If the translators rendered mauvaise as 'faulty' or 'poor', or Sartre had used words which translate 'conflicted,' 'confused,' or even 'divided' for an understanding of ourselves, these might have helped. By explaining the ontological structure of consciousness, he might show where the difficulties lie.

        If we eliminate our association of evil or monstrous with 'bad' and stay true to the spirit of Sartre's text, we'll pay closer attention to his use of 'faith.' When he says we are nothing if we don't play at being, he indicates we play *because* we doubt. We're uncertain that we are what we do. We're conflicted; we reject and accept. We deny and embrace. Sartre is trying to contrast essence with existence. Remember, freedom is his highest value.

        > I would suggest that if one cannot get the idea from sources like SparkNotes
        > and Wikipedia or from others, then Sartre has not adequately explained his
        > concept. It should not take reading 800 pages of text to get the point. If
        > bad faith or mauvais foi takes 800 pages, then it is too complex to be
        > worthy of consideration.
        >
        > eduard

      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
          I think that “bad” just means wrong and that having bad faith leads to some adverse impact on the self.

          The problem isn’t in the translation of “mauvais”, but of “foi”. I don’t think that “faith” adequately encompasses the meaning in French. I think that the translation might more adequately be “credo”. But then that is only my opinion.

          I don’t think that Sartre’s “I doubt, therefore I am” adds much more that Descarte’s "Cogito ergo sum".

          I think that in today’s world, the response to Descarte’s dictum is ... “so what”. Descarte should be applying his intellect to find a cure for cancer, rather then pondering whether or not he exists. Granted he’s dead, but the point remains.