Re: [existlist] Re: Problems with bad faith

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 171 , Jul 13, 2013
      Jim,

      For when you are back ...

      Starting from the premise that bad faith is self-deception [which may not be the case] my comment is whether self-deception is actually taking place in the examples given. It isn’t a case of asking if self-deception is possible. Perhaps it is possible, but this isn’t shown in the examples. The Charles Dickens’ character is not deceiving himself. His behaviour is his own choosing. That is who he is. There is no deception. Therefore no bad faith.

      In regard to (2), I think that one could argue that self-deception IS bad for the person who does it. But in the example of Dickens’ character we seem to be getting mixed up with a deception to others. The character deceives his daughter by not providing affection which she [or rather us] might expect. But that is not bad faith ... it is only bad behaviour. Bad faith is personal. It cannot be weighed against the expectations of others.

      Message 171 of 171 , Aug 25, 2013
        It seems to me that we are limited to the qualities and capacities of humanness as supplied by the natural state of being human. Other than that, I personally cannot conceive of a fixed nature or essence.