Being and Nothingness Joke

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2013
      Jean-Paul Sartre is sitting at a French café, revising his draft of Being and Nothingness. He says to the waitress: "I'd like a cup of coffee, please, with no cream." The waitress replies: "I'm sorry, Monsieur, but we're out of cream. How about with no milk?"
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2013
        Nice. I've heard variations on this theme before, beginning over forty years ago watching Sesame Street with my oldest daughter. Cookie Monster is ordering milk and cookies and the waiter says they're out of milk so Cookie Monster responds, "That's okay. I'll just have juice and cookies."Or something to that effect.

        To grasp nothing is never easy :)