Re: [existlist] Re: The circularity of consciousness

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 171 , Jul 7, 2013
      Jim,

      The McCulloch article does not provide a clarification.

      For example ....

      “However Sartre makes a great deal of the point that this is not the only form of self-awareness we enjoy. He claims that in addition to this reflective and explicit self-consciousness, which is just a special case of an act of consciousness positing an intentional object, we are also always at least implicitly self-conscious in a special way, even when we are not explicitly reflecting. Even while I am engaged in Act 1 above, even before explicitly becoming self-conscious in Act 2, Sartre would insist that I was implicitly aware of myself as thinking about the Eiffel Tower (Act 2 is also thus implicitly self-aware, although it would take an Act 3 for it to become the intentional object of an act: see TE: 44-5)”

      It would seem that this is somehow vital information, but is there anyone in the room who does not realise that when thinking about thinking about the tower, that they are also aware that they are thinking?? Why would it have to become an “Act 3”. What specifically is Act 3?? There is description of Act 1 and Act 2, but no description of Act 3.

      I suppose that Act 3 would be the act of thinking about thinking about ‘the first time for a week that I've recalled that day in Paris when . . .' I don’t think this assists an understanding of consciousness, but carries it to the absurd. You could posit an Act 4 and so on.

      Message 171 of 171 , Aug 25, 2013
        It seems to me that we are limited to the qualities and capacities of humanness as supplied by the natural state of being human. Other than that, I personally cannot conceive of a fixed nature or essence.