Re: observation

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 171 , Jul 3, 2013
      Mary, Eduard,

      My Sartre reading is helping me understand the link between freedom and nothingness.

      According to McCulloch (author of my commentary on Sartre), the nothingness of reality can be equated with the possibilities in reality, or the potentiality of reality to change (better, to be changed).

      And we as conscious beings see the nothingnesses in reality and thus have the freedom to change reality.

      For example the bike leaning against my shed has the potential to be ridden. I can see this nothingness, this potential of the bike to be ridden, and thus because of my consciousness of this aspect of reality, I have the freedom to get on the bike and go for a ride. (Of course I also have the freedom to put the bike back in the shed.)

      The bottle in front of me has the potential to be opened. The nothingness of the bottle in respect that it currently is not opened, but it has the potential to be opened, is available to me as being-for-itself, and I have the freedom to open it.

      So, as I read McCulloch, my freedom is dependent on the nothingness around me, the currently unactualized possibilities, or potentialities of things, which, because I am a conscious being (conscious of these nothingnesses), I have the ability to actualize.

      Jim

      > If consciousness as being For-itself were not an emptiness or nothingness, you would not be free to choose.
      >
      > Mary

      > > “One cannot shape one's essence, make one's meaning, free one's self without understanding how freedom depends on nothingness.”
      > >
      > > That’s very hard to understand. I can say that my meaning is to fulfill the role that I have as an engineer for aviation lighting systems. I can appreciate this meaning without understanding how freedom depends on nothingness.
      > >
      > > I suspect there is a simple idea in this somewhere.
      > >
      > > eduard

    • daveylee40
      Message 171 of 171 , Aug 25, 2013
        It seems to me that we are limited to the qualities and capacities of humanness as supplied by the natural state of being human. Other than that, I personally cannot conceive of a fixed nature or essence.