Sartre

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2 2:11 PM
      Mary,

      I've very much enjoyed reading your recent posts on Sartre and his account of consciousness, as well as the related subjects of nothingness and freedom.

      I haven't responded directly as I feel my knowledge of all this is not great, so I haven't really had anything to add to what you have written.

      I am taking some time out now to dip into two commentaries I have on Sartre, both by people I have known personally and studied with in the 1990's. One is my old supervisor Gregory McCulloch who unfortunately died prematurely, the other is Gary Cox who was a postgraduate with me, and I remember once walked out on a talk I was giving as he was not interested in it! Still I won't hold that against him as his book on Sartre seems a good one.

      Anyway after I've done some reading I'll try to write something intelligent on Sartre.

      Jim
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2 2:18 PM
        I greatly look forward to it, Jim. I've had a copy of his Being and Nothingness sitting around here for a year or more and never read any of it until recently. I've actually set Hegel aside for now, but strangely, it was reading a little Hegel which has made reading Sartre less difficult. I discovered unfortunately, however, that my Hazel Barnes edition is abridged and leaves out the Bad Faith section. I'll have to find that somewhere else at some point.