Poetry

  • Rajiv Pande
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2000
      Dear Charles,
      Your points taken. All I meant was that poetry gives us an opportunity to express ideas in a way that is in not expressible through prose. If it were, there would be nothing special about poetry. I have read a bit of William Blake, and I find that he seems to have the genius to express extremely abstract concepts in simple form. To describe what he describes through prose would probably need 10 pages for a one page poem, and that too as only an approximation to the original truth.
      If this is not transcendence, subtlety and abstraction, I don't know what is.
      OOPS, no, no, Charles, I don't mean to impose at all, I just reacted reflexively in defense of a dying art form.
      Regards and apologies
      Rajiv

      [This message contained attachments]
    • Charles Vermont
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2000
        Rajiv,

        Thank you very much for your qualification. I think I now have a better understanding of what you were saying. I also find there are, for me, 'efficient' and 'inefficient' methods of communicating depending on the subject matter. I feel glad that poetry speaks to you so loudly, and only wish it did the same for me.

        Oh well, I suppose there's still time...

        Charles Vermont
        london.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2004
          This one went somewhere where I am not. I do , however hope he[she,
          it] continues. Perhaps a entre into prose might be revealing. But
          perhaps that would be something feared. Bill
        • dick.richardson@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
            Poetry

            Without any shadow of doubt rhyming verse is one of the best ways of
            reaching deep into many people; whilst without reams of prose writing;
            which may be boring for many in this day and age of all rush and instant
            gratification. How this is done and how it works then don't know.
            Maybe it is something to do with short musical stances, metres, with
            words (meaning) attached to the rhythm – which is ingrained deep
            into the psyche plainly enough. The rhythm opens the gate and the words
            carry the message down deep there inside.

            So, if you have something to say, and if short of time for saying it,
            then try rhyming verse. It is quick, easy, and very effective, and it
            can and does sow seeds in fertile ground. And maybe even in cracks in
            rocks at times :- )

            That it works is not a matter of conjecture. It does work. I never had
            any interest in poetry, let alone writing it; but just another of those
            things which life inflicts on one at times. It would have been the very
            last thing on my mind – ever. But there you go. It is said by many
            that poetry does not go down well in this day age, and to some extent
            that is true in consensus terms in the boozer. But there IS a big
            audience for it nonetheless, and maybe growing. Also, given what life is
            like today with so little time to oneself, then there is a good chance
            of it becoming more popular over the next century at least. So, give it
            some thought. I know well enough that it can have one hell of a reaction
            and effect. If you say that you cannot do it then my reply is rubbish.
            Just start doing it and work at it; it will come and fall into place. It
            also gets ones brain working and keeps it fit; as well as other peoples.
            You may cause waves in time to come. You don't know until you try.
            Never give up. Well, not whilst alive here anyway.

            rwr