Re: existentialism as a system?

  • existlist
    Message 1 of 171 , Jun 25, 2013
      > Yes, perhaps the wrong word. I tend to look at things as systems. Maybe ‘philosophy’ would do. But some people may not wish to adhere to any philosophy.

      ===Here's what Kierkegaard thought:

      Kierkegaard bristled at the notion that a man could define or even find the logic of a system forming reality. His theory held that only the Creator could understand reality, as humans are in a constant state of change. To try to find an absolute reality was ludicrous.

      An existential system cannot be formulated.... Existence itself is a system -- for God; but it cannot be a system for any existing spirit. System and finality correspond to one another, but existence is precisely the opposite of finality.

      Kierkegaard contended that living is the art of the existentialist, while previous philosophies engaged only in thought. Philosophers were studying concepts, but not the individual behind the concepts -- that was limited to the nascent realm of psychology. Kierkegaard did not believe in universal truths, only truth as seen by one individual. This theory of truth relates to Edmund Husserl's phenomenology.

      ===I think like Kierkegaard, I just discovered. If I wrote that (above) I wouldn't say *God* though. I wouldn't use the word *Creator* either. I'd say that everything is in a constant state of flux, including humans. I'd say that finding an absolute reality is ludicrous but that we'll never stop trying. :)

      Existence just isn't a system for an individual and existentialism is about the individual.

      I probably should read Husserl's phenomenology.
      The stuff above was from here:

    • daveylee40
      Message 171 of 171 , Aug 25, 2013
        It seems to me that we are limited to the qualities and capacities of humanness as supplied by the natural state of being human. Other than that, I personally cannot conceive of a fixed nature or essence.