Death is no longer acceptable.--Jason Silva

  • hermit crab
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2013
      Just when I'd totally accepted my own mortality, Jason Silva makes this
      video. ;)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odwW8XlTD1I

      I recently discovered his little *shots of awe* and kind of enjoy them.
      Maybe you will too.

      "Death has become an imposition on the human race and is no longer
      acceptable." -Alan Harrington, 'The Immortalist'

      Join Jason Silva every week as he freestyles his way into the complex
      systems of society, technology and human existence and discusses the truth
      and beauty of science in a form of existential jazz. New episodes every
      Tuesday.

      hc

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2013
        Thanks, h. Some of Silva's perspectives can be challenged or questioned, of course, and each shot includes so many ingredients and conflicting concepts, but overall, very stimulating. I downed all those shots and found his enthusiasm charming, that special type found in my adult children and which keeps me in an awe and questioning mode. Nothing like younger folk to worry and inspire. Thinking of my love for them is inseparable from thinking of immortality. I found this written by poet Alun Lewis which Robert Graves echoed:

        "although I'm more engrossed with the single poetic theme of Life and Death, for there doesn't seem to be any question more directly relevant than this one, of what survives of all the beloved, I find myself unable to express at once the passion of Love, the coldness of Death (Death is cold), and the fire that beats against resignation, `acceptance'. Acceptance seems so spiritless, protest so vain. In between the two I live."

        Makes me think of Camus' absurd reasoning and Dylan Thomas' "Do Not Go Gentle . . ."

        We can imagine what immortality would "look" like in so many different ways that reality probably wouldn't be any different than how it is now. Which leads to Nietzsche's eternal recurrence...what would we change, what can we change? Silva's notion that each individual can shape his own reality is intriguing, but who will we admit to it and what is the potential for intersubjectivity or solipsism? Lots to think about if one takes immortality seriously :)

        Mary

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, hermit crab <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

        > Just when I'd totally accepted my own mortality, Jason Silva makes this
        > video. ;)
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odwW8XlTD1I
        >
        > I recently discovered his little *shots of awe* and kind of enjoy them.
        > Maybe you will too.
        >

        > "Death has become an imposition on the human race and is no longer
        > acceptable." -Alan Harrington, 'The Immortalist'
        >
        > Join Jason Silva every week as he freestyles his way into the complex
        > systems of society, technology and human existence and discusses the truth
        > and beauty of science in a form of existential jazz. New episodes every
        > Tuesday.
        >
        > hc

      • existlist
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2013
          He's intriguing, young, energetic and, yes, maybe a little bit of a solipsist. I thought he conjured up those exuberant spurts of energy just for the short videos but found out early this morning by watching this more extensive and recent interview that he can sustain that verbosity and fluidity for much longer. He seems to be channeling all the people he quotes in this interview! He has a special mind, that is for sure. Okay, he's young and, yes, much of what he says can be challenged but if he's this impressive at 30 years old, imagine him in fifteen years or so. The discussion here was fascinating. I especially liked the comments about "flow":
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1g4BC_cSM&feature=youtu.be
          It's an appearance on a show called London Real.

          h.