Re: Horgan interview of Chalmers

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013
      Thanks for this h. I finally got a chance to view the "Physical theory won't do the job" portion of the interview. I've followed Chalmers on and off for about 10 years as he's probably the most comprehensive compiler and critique of all the various philosophies of mind. I like what he says about needing an explanation which is not only physical but one which also incorporates experience. For our present discussion, the experience of thought is different from the neural process of thought.

      Mary

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

      > http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/1187
      >
      > David Chalmers (The Conscious Mind) and John Horgan (Stevens Center for Science Writings, Cross-check)
      >
      > Why consciousness captivates David 5:23
      > The Woodstock of consciousness studies 8:29
      > Physical theory won't do the job 5:37
      > Why can't a thermostat be conscious? 7:57
      > Can we study consciousness without a consciousness meter? 9:33
      > John's enthusiasm for The Matrix nosedives 16:32
      >
      > I recommend this fascinating video interview which addresses some of the questions brought up here lately.
      >
      > More Chalmers info:
      > http://www.informationphilosopher.com/solutions/philosophers/chalmers/
      >
      > h.

    • existlist
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013
        Yeah, qualia is a real mystery. :) I'm glad you find it interesting. I started to watch some here too but then got busy with other stuff.
        http://www.closertotruth.com/participant/David-Chalmers/18

        h.

        > Thanks for this h. I finally got a chance to view the "Physical theory won't do the job" portion of the interview. I've followed Chalmers on and off for about 10 years as he's probably the most comprehensive compiler and critique of all the various philosophies of mind. I like what he says about needing an explanation which is not only physical but one which also incorporates experience. For our present discussion, the experience of thought is different from the neural process of thought.
        >
        > Mary
        >
        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@> wrote:
        > >
        > > http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/1187
        > >
        > > David Chalmers (The Conscious Mind) and John Horgan (Stevens Center for Science Writings, Cross-check)
        > >
        > > Why consciousness captivates David 5:23
        > > The Woodstock of consciousness studies 8:29
        > > Physical theory won't do the job 5:37
        > > Why can't a thermostat be conscious? 7:57
        > > Can we study consciousness without a consciousness meter? 9:33
        > > John's enthusiasm for The Matrix nosedives 16:32
        > >
        > > I recommend this fascinating video interview which addresses some of the questions brought up here lately.
        > >
        > > More Chalmers info:
        > > http://www.informationphilosopher.com/solutions/philosophers/chalmers/
        > >
        > > h.

      • existlist
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2013
          At first I thought I may have read that once but I think it was Philosophy for Dummies that I owned. Not sure. I do remember it being helpful. The Dummies books are great.

          h.