Re: We are information experiencing information.

  • existlist
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2013

      > I hadn't realized Deutsch was building on Bohm's pilot wave theory. Interesting.
      >
      > Mary

      ===You'll find this interesting.

      "pilot-wave theories are parallel-universe theories in a state of chronic denial"--David Deutsch

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Broglie%E2%80%93Bohm_theory

      (from Occam's Razor criticism section of the page)

      Apparently not everyone thinks the wavefunction is physically real.
      I want to believe it is. :p

      h.
    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2013
        Hermit,

        I think that this use of the term “information” is very specialized. You could have an electron spin at the other side of the universe and say that it is some kind of information. But it isn’t information such as ... “It is going to rain tomorrow” or “You have a flat tire”.

        Using the specialized application I can agree with your statement, although much of the Wheeler theory I don’t understand and it has been more than 40 years since I did entropy in university. I can appreciate that behind everything is an explanation of its origin.

        However, I would suggest that your statement is wrong in the context of this forum. Well ... sort of. If you and I ARE information, then it would be reasonable to assume this is the kind of information with which we are familiar. My information [I suppose] is the role I play. That is, what do I say to others by my presence.

        Wheeler’s “information” is fascinating but few of us have the time or capability to go there.