Re: [existlist] Re: From very small to very large

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 171 , Jun 13, 2013

      I don’t think that I said that it is neurons which decide what you do, in the sense that they are conspiring to lead you in a direction where you do want to go. I have said before that if you do not wish to go in a particular direction, then this is also a script that you learn. The one plays against the other and a choice is made.

      The only point I am making is that our thinking and our possible subsequent behaviour is a matter of what we have learned and adopted. And this adoption is in our brains.

      For example, your car probably has an upper speed of 220kph. A teen or young 20-something may decide to drive it to the limit ... for the extreme fun of it. As an adult, one has learned caution which is yet another script. The one overrides the other, so most people tend to stay away from sudden death. However, the “one” and the “other” are both in your brain. Some would like to say that they heard a little voice warning not to drive so fast. But that is just a metaphor ... there is no little voice ... it is only your brain talking.

      Message 171 of 171 , Aug 25, 2013
        It seems to me that we are limited to the qualities and capacities of humanness as supplied by the natural state of being human. Other than that, I personally cannot conceive of a fixed nature or essence.