anguish

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
      I need to stop using 'anxiety' in relation to existentialism. As Sartre pointed out, fear isn't caused by nothingness but anguish is. "Nothingness lies coiled at the heart of being—like a worm," so self-help methods may be considered bad faith and excuses to face our freedom.

      Mary
    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
        Mary,

        I don’t understand. How does the quote “Nothingness lies coiled at the heart of being—like a worm," address the issue of anguish or anxiety??

        Why would trying to deal with whatever anxiety you may have be considered bad faith. Surely an attempt, even self-help, to deal with one’s anxiety is laudable.