brain training

    Message 1 of 70 , Jun 6 7:50 AM
      What is the source of the training? Other brains? Where did these others receive their training? Who or what develops the scripts? What determines the capacity to adopt new scripts? Why can't we train our brains to "physically" heal themselves and our bodies?

      All you are saying is that thought orders itself through its ordering capacity. Tis enough.

      > Although you are not asking moi, in answer to (3) I would say that the brain orders thought by training. It learns the process of thinking in a logical manner ... or not. You can note the difference in people with whom you are discussing some issue. For example, some people will bring in extraneous and unrelated information to justify their position. It is like a child who chooses a nickel over a dime because the former is bigger. Or voting for a candidate because he looks good on TV. How we order thought is a learned skill. More mental scripts that serve as a control over other scripts that are intended to draw conclusions from input information. Or to put it another way, scripts that serve to weigh the appropriateness or value of inputs that lead to a conclusion. Some people do not learn this skill.
      >
      > eduard

    • eduardathome
      Message 70 of 70 , Jun 13 1:49 PM
        Well we have two things here... mental states and the digital bit.

        As to mental states I can only go by what is in sources like Wikipedia

        Look up Being and Nothingness and you will find such as ....

        (1) The great human stream arises from a singular realization that nothingness is a state of mind in which we can become anything, in reference to our situation, that we desire.

        (2) Sartre's recipe for fulfillment is to escape all quests by completing them. This is accomplished by rigorously forcing order onto nothingness, employing the "spirit (or consciousness of mind) of seriousness" and describing the failure to do so in terms such as "bad faith" and "false consciousness".

        These are references to a state of mind

        But then one does not need to go to side references, all of Sartre bit about bad faith, the look, negation etc. are states of mind. It is the statement of mind that Sartre is speaking about. In the waiter he is speaking against the person acting out a role of waiter versus his existence as human. These are states of mind.

        With respect to photoreceptors they are in effect digital. The protein molecule in the receptor will react to a certain level of visual energy entering the receptor. At some point it will generate a signal to say that it has received the energy. This is the same as a switch. Granted it is not a clean as all that. You might be able to fool a blue receptor with red light if there is a sufficient quantity. The response of the receptor is like a probability curve centre on a particular wavelength. However, it is still digital.

        Digital systems do not have to be literally ones and zeros. They can be twos and threes, as long as there is a difference between one state that is defined as zero and the other which is higher or lower and defined as the one. Or it can be an electrochemical signal of so many microvolts versus a rest state that has a lesser value. Or perhaps more ions versus less ions.

        In any case, my main point is that the retina transmits to the occipital lobe on the basis of pixels. The photoreceptor is the pixel sampler. And because it is pixels, it has a certain resolution. That is, the ability of the human eye to resolve distance objects into two rather than to merge them. If a line is fine enough, what you see is a series of dots. It is the brain itself which concludes that these dots represent a line.

        I do not understand your last sentence. I am not talking about resolving differences, but only pointing out that we see pixels of information.