Re: more nothing

    Message 1 of 43 , May 30 3:38 PM
      Okay then. The influences for these concepts go back to Parmenides in the 5th century B.C. These concepts have been carried forward until today. They continue to be discussed among Hegelian scholars at the very least. Sartre's philosophical influences were other philosophers. Not everyone who experienced the cultural and historical influences that Sartre did became philosophers. So other than his personal influences of childhood, attending university for his philosophy degree, his war experiences, and his teaching philosophy, I'm not sure how you wish to make a connection between non-philosophical influences and his book. Which other particular influences have you uncovered?

      > Both. Being and Nothingness is Sartre's book.
      >
      > eduard

    • eduardathome
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 2, 2013
        Although it isn’t a philosophy but only a tool, there are a ton of influences which lead to Nooism. The primary influence, however, was the brain surgery I underwent when I was in my early 40s.

        In any case, I don’t think that one can truly engage a philosopher X’s ideas without some understanding of the influences. I don’t see it otherwise. Why Sartre came up with Being and Nothingness is as important as the philosophy itself.