Re: Whose fault is it anyway

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 43 , May 27, 2013
      Eduard,

      I don't agree with your manifesto for "dumbing down" academic books so all members of the general public can understand them.

      Researchers at the cutting-edge of their discipline, whether it be science, psychology, economics, law, philosophy or whatever, should be allowed to attempt to push back the frontiers of knowledge without being constrained to make their book accessible to the person who knows nothing about the subject.

      I am sorry if you have bought books in the past which you have not understood and feel you have wasted your money, but generally books have bits on the cover to indicate their content and level of accessibility.

      Mathematicians publish books too, and I would not expect to understand new research in this area without "working up" from the lower levels of the subject to the higher levels.

      For me philosophy is a passion which engages my study and I am prepared to spend time struggling with difficult ideas and I read widely to get alternative perspectives.

      I agree that on a forum such as this, we all should strive to explain what we write or what we quote as clearly as possible, and that is what I attempted last time.

      By the way I did include the sentence ""Because "nothingness" (or nihilation) is just what consciousness is, there can be no objects in consciousness, but only objects for consciousness." I just put it in the one quote as this sentence followed straight on from the previous one.

      At the end of your post you write:

      "I think that is what this all comes down to. People can freely post whatever quote here, but members are not allowed to question the quote if it doesn't seem to make any sense. One doesn't question Sartre."

      This seems an hysterical over-reaction to me, and not based on anything I wrote. I cannot recall writing "Eduard, you are not allowed to question this quote. Nobody is allowed to question either Sartre himself or the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy."

      Rather what I attempted to do was respond to your post saying you did not find the passage clear, by attempting to express the ideas in my own way, which might be helpful to you.

      I think this forum should accept all types of contributions – whether the more scholarly ones you don't like – or the more direct ones you do like. We get hardly any posts here anyway, and restricting the form or content even more will probably result in no posts at all.

      Jim
    • eduardathome
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 2, 2013
        Although it isn’t a philosophy but only a tool, there are a ton of influences which lead to Nooism. The primary influence, however, was the brain surgery I underwent when I was in my early 40s.

        In any case, I don’t think that one can truly engage a philosopher X’s ideas without some understanding of the influences. I don’t see it otherwise. Why Sartre came up with Being and Nothingness is as important as the philosophy itself.