Re: more nothing

    Message 1 of 43 , May 26 1:21 PM
      Jim,

      I think commentaries are helpful in order to get a general grasp of the philosopher's concepts, and comparing commentaries is useful for especially difficult concepts. If something about an author really interests and resonates, I will pursue the challenge. Another thing to consider is differences in translations can create confusion with terminology. Knowing the mother tongue is an advantage I suppose, but if there are universal concepts they should shine through. With an extremely difficult philosopher like Hegel, I'm find such huge differences between interpretations that I'm forced to struggle with the texts myself. I find Hegel easier to read than Sartre because (and alas) I'm actually a metaphysical thinker, which probably now disqualifies me as an existentialist. Oh well.

      > Eduard,
      >
      > You write:
      >
      > "If Sartre or Hegel or whomever is going to make a living off writing books that are sold to the general public, then what they say should be sufficiently clear to make sense to the general reader. Otherwise they have failed in their role."
      >
      > I disagree with you here. Philosophers like Sartre and Hegel "made their living" primarily by breaking new ground in a subject with a long history. A subject many young people choose to study at University.
      >
      > To understand difficult philosophers it is often necessary to start with easier philosophers or commentaries on the difficult philosophers. University students in the UK would start off with "easier" philosophers like Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Hume and work up to the more difficult philosophers like Kant, Hegel and Sartre in their third and final year of study.
      >
      > The "general reader" who is interested in philosophy is well advised to follow a similar gradual approach. I mix my reading of philosophers like Hegel and Sartre with introductory commentaries which often unpack the ideas in a more gradual way.
      >
      > If the top philosophers were required to make all their books accessible to the non-philosophy-reading general public, then philosophy would never progress.
      >
      > I get the impression you are not actually that interested in reading philosophy books. I recall you in the past being disparaging of "dead philosophers". Just reading the odd paragraph of a philosopher is not the ideal way to gain access to difficult philosophical ideas.
      >
      > Going back a few posts you said the following passage Mary posted did not make sense to you.
      >
      > "For him [Sartre], freedom is the dislocation of consciousness from its object, the fundamental "nihilation" or negation by means of which consciousness can grasp its object without losing itself in it: to be conscious of something is to be conscious of not being it, a "not" that arises in the very structure of consciousness as being for-itself. Because "nothingness" (or nihilation) is just what consciousness is, there can be no objects in consciousness, but only objects for consciousness."
      >
      > You write about this section:
      >
      > "If "nihilation" is the means by which consciousness can grasp its object, then how can consciousness itself be "nihilation"?? In Brief he is saying .... freedom is the dislocation of nihilation from its object, the fundamental "nihilation" or negation by means of which nihilation can grasp its object without losing itself in it:
      >
      > Surely there must be a way of saying this in plain English. Why should the "explanation" be even more complicated than the text that it seeks to explain?? English is not devoid of suitable words."
      >
      > I think the passage you highlight is difficult, although read in the context of the whole quotation it does make sense to me.

> [...]
    • eduardathome
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 2, 2013
        Although it isn’t a philosophy but only a tool, there are a ton of influences which lead to Nooism. The primary influence, however, was the brain surgery I underwent when I was in my early 40s.

        In any case, I don’t think that one can truly engage a philosopher X’s ideas without some understanding of the influences. I don’t see it otherwise. Why Sartre came up with Being and Nothingness is as important as the philosophy itself.