Re: [existlist] Re: more nothing

  • hermit crab
    Message 1 of 43 , May 12, 2013
      On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Jim <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

      > I think anxiety is more connected with the things we value. I do suffer
      > anxiety about things going badly for my children. We can be anxious about
      > many things, and not just them suddenly becoming nothing, but about them
      > remaining as something but in changed (for the worse) circumstances.
      >
      > Jim,

      Right, and no one has complete control of the future so to alleviate the
      suffering that that thought causes, I've trained myself to bring my mind
      back to the present. I'm getting better at it.

      h.

    • eduardathome
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 2, 2013
        Although it isn’t a philosophy but only a tool, there are a ton of influences which lead to Nooism. The primary influence, however, was the brain surgery I underwent when I was in my early 40s.

        In any case, I don’t think that one can truly engage a philosopher X’s ideas without some understanding of the influences. I don’t see it otherwise. Why Sartre came up with Being and Nothingness is as important as the philosophy itself.