more nothing

    Message 1 of 43 , May 8 1:19 PM
      What I think so far is that Nothing is a concept and a reality, as is Being. They don't derive from one another but have always been, always coexisted whether they were formalized as concepts or not. We negate, 'nihilate' and destroy many kinds of being whether thoughts, ideas, the past, people, and other phenomena. Yet even negated things continue to have being of some kind. If we have being, we are free to negate. What philosophy is concerned with is why negation mediates what we perceive and think immediately. What are the limits of this freedom?

      There are disagreements about whether there is only nothing or only being and that one or the other appears from the other. I think they have always co-existed. So the questions is not why is the something rather than nothing.

      Mary
    • eduardathome
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 2, 2013
        Although it isn’t a philosophy but only a tool, there are a ton of influences which lead to Nooism. The primary influence, however, was the brain surgery I underwent when I was in my early 40s.

        In any case, I don’t think that one can truly engage a philosopher X’s ideas without some understanding of the influences. I don’t see it otherwise. Why Sartre came up with Being and Nothingness is as important as the philosophy itself.