Re: [existlist] Re: shaping essence

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 67 , Apr 27, 2013
      Jim,

      You are trying apply the word literally. The brain writes it's own
      programming which it gets from the person's experiences or training. We can
      write new programming as we mature and experience/learn more stuff.

      The brain is full of neurons. Each has a multitude of connections to other
      neurons. When one "thinks" the neuron which is going to make the decision
      collects inputs from the connected neurons. They are signals much like a
      computer. Like 1's and 0's. Of course it is more complicated than that ...
      there being billions of neurons.

      Why is it that witness statements for a crime are so unreliable. When one
      sees a criminal in the act, we don't store the memory like a photograph.
      There is no photograph repository in the brain. What is stored is
      attributes of the scene. Like the vertical horizontal and curved attribute
      of lines. Much of this conversion is done in the eyeball [retina]. We
      don't even store reds or yellows or whatever distinct colour, but rather as
      signal couplets represent such as blue-yellow.

      So why are witness statements unreliable?? Because bringing back to memory
      what we think we saw is a matter of collecting all these signals and
      recreating the scene as if from scratch. If the signal strength for a
      particular element is too weak or it gets mixed with something else the
      criminal now has red hair instead of black. The red may have come from
      someone seen at Aunt Martha's wedding last year.

      The brain works on the basis of electro-chemical signals that go from neuron
      to neuron. It is the same a programming in a computer where nodes of a
      memory grid has a signal value.

      Most people have a hard time accepting that the brain actually thinks and
      that it does so by its programming. Yet this is what science tells us.
      There is lots of evidence; much of it going back to the early 1940s.

      But then I may be wrong. How do you figure that a simple decision as
      crossing the street is accomplished?? Is the decision made in the brain??
      If so then how does the brain make that decision??

      Message 67 of 67 , May 10 4:11 PM
        I still get the feeling that it is words for the sake of words.

        Take for example your statement of ....

        "Since to be a living being has "diversity within itself", e.g., human
        beings are living beings, it cannot be the same as pure being".

        You have prior defined things "pure" as having no diversity. Therefore it
        goes without saying that a living being which is also defined as "diversity"
        within itself cannot be "pure" being.

        But, you could just as easily say that diversity is inherent to being and
        thus an attribute of pure being. Afterall, living is action, otherwise you
        are dead. Action itself is diverse in that it can vary. If it doesn't
        vary, you are back to "dead". Therefore, living which is known by its
        diversity is pure being.

        We eventually come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as pure
        being, because we define it in a fashion as to make it impossible.

        I don't think "nothingness" is about the end or beginning of something. I
        think "nothingness" is a mental state or state of mind in which one tries to
        deal with the absence of something. That is, something that one's brain
        expects to be there, but cannot find anything at that location. I think
        that is the meaning of Sartre's néant as not being. Of course I could be
        wrong and I am biased by my philosophy of Nooism which poses that everything
        we think of is resolvable down to mental states. The anxiety comes from not
        finding the thing that is supposed to be there. The expectation is that
        Pierre would be seated in chair #3. Since he isn't there, or rather his
        "not-being" is there leads to anxiety. In the end, it has very little to do
        with the real world presence or absence of Pierre, but only the way in which
        our brains try to conceptualize Pierre.