Re: [existlist] Re: shaping essence

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 67 , Apr 26, 2013
      Jim,

      I would agree that we can change direction and such, but that does not take
      away from the fact that our brain "thinks" on the basis of programming.

      I would also agree that at present the computer does not have a choice [to
      use the word], but that is only because most computers cannot change their
      programming ... that is the decision ... based upon an assessment of the
      result. It can't say that the possible result is not acceptable and thus a
      new decision is to be made by weighing different factors.

      But that is changing. The point at which computers will be as capable as
      human brains is around something like 2035 when computers will have
      sufficient capability to do assessments in the same manner as the human
      brain.

      Consider the Canada Arm on the International Space Station. It "sees" what
      it is reaching for and adjusts its progress according to how close it gets.
      Not much different from a human arm. Granted, it is simplistic, but
      computers are getting there. Like Roy Batty in Blade Runner.

      Message 67 of 67 , May 10, 2013
        I still get the feeling that it is words for the sake of words.

        Take for example your statement of ....

        "Since to be a living being has "diversity within itself", e.g., human
        beings are living beings, it cannot be the same as pure being".

        You have prior defined things "pure" as having no diversity. Therefore it
        goes without saying that a living being which is also defined as "diversity"
        within itself cannot be "pure" being.

        But, you could just as easily say that diversity is inherent to being and
        thus an attribute of pure being. Afterall, living is action, otherwise you
        are dead. Action itself is diverse in that it can vary. If it doesn't
        vary, you are back to "dead". Therefore, living which is known by its
        diversity is pure being.

        We eventually come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as pure
        being, because we define it in a fashion as to make it impossible.

        I don't think "nothingness" is about the end or beginning of something. I
        think "nothingness" is a mental state or state of mind in which one tries to
        deal with the absence of something. That is, something that one's brain
        expects to be there, but cannot find anything at that location. I think
        that is the meaning of Sartre's néant as not being. Of course I could be
        wrong and I am biased by my philosophy of Nooism which poses that everything
        we think of is resolvable down to mental states. The anxiety comes from not
        finding the thing that is supposed to be there. The expectation is that
        Pierre would be seated in chair #3. Since he isn't there, or rather his
        "not-being" is there leads to anxiety. In the end, it has very little to do
        with the real world presence or absence of Pierre, but only the way in which
        our brains try to conceptualize Pierre.