Re: Digest Number 130

  • Tom J
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2000
      > From: "Randy M. Zeitman" <randzman@...>

      > >Can't you also experience your
      > >evaluation? You can experience the making of a choice also can you not?
      > >know I can. From my experience, the notion of "experience" seems a large
      > >abstraction but to my mind and from my experience, it's as real as any
      other
      > >factor of 'being'.
      >
      > What are the other factors of being?...might experience not be "the*
      factor
      > of being?

      I suppose being is the same thing as experience if taken on a metaphysical
      level but you could also argue that being consists of the physical
      manifestation also. In fact, surely any argument against this is
      meaningless? Well, in fact most philosophical doctrines are a complete
      waste of time if you ask me - they achieve nothing and just drive you round
      in circles. It's the individual's choice to do that though :-). I see
      dualism as the only valid assumption about our existence. I therefore think
      of experience as being a constituent of being and not its whole.

      Being is just a word - it's just becoming about semantics really! If we
      choose to assign the word "being" to merely the "qualia" aspect of
      ourselves, it does not prevent the other factors from existing and
      contributing to our existence.

      > >My experience of evaluation is that is relies far too heavily on
      experience
      > >:-). I believe in god because it is a valid experience owing to my
      former
      > >experience, my evaluation of this experience, and the experience of
      > >evaluation.
      >
      > >That probably made no sense whatsoever and I find that quite amusing :-).
      >
      > I take it to means you're prone to choose what you have choosen before
      > because it's comfortable (facticity).

      No, I am prone to choosing whatever I think is the best thing to choose
      owing to prior experience of the apparent causes and effects of my actions.
      My evaluation of what is "best" cannot be reduced to simple concept such as
      "facticity". At least not on a conscious level.

      Tom