Existentialism is not a . . .

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2013
      voluntarism, because this is what Sartre was defending against. It is not simply choosing freely; it's choice with a specific project in mind and an authenticity which utilizes reason and responsibility. Neither is it a plea for common sense nor an effort to eliminate uncertainty. These would set up the a prioi conditions Doug noticed. In order to create essence from existence one doesn't keep laws as transcendentally and universally given. If one wishes to shortcut the process, thereby leaving reason out of the process, then resort to common sense is advisable. But I maintain this isn't doing philosophy. How I choose freedom matters. Do I work to support the creation or abolition of laws I feel are unjust? Do I claim rights for others as well as myself? Do I thoughtfully explore the limitations of freedom? Do I lack empathy and fairness in selfishly pursuing my own freedom at the expense of others? In a given situation, whose freedom is prioritized, etc. Sartre couples the terror of responsibility with freedom; they're a social concern not simply free will in a vacuum. Sartre was defending Existentialism against charges of lawlessness, immorality, and despair as an active expression of freedom and responsibility. The status quo of stagnation often masqueradse as common sense; protection our civil and human rights requires communal vigilance not radical withdrawal.