Re: [existlist] Re: Poking at nothing (Why Does The World Exist?)

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
      Is it really important in the grand scheme of things??

      I suppose one can always ask the question and theoretical scientists are
      certainly busy trying to formulating an answer. But isn't this something
      like asking why there was the car accident I didn't have because I left work
      early.

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
        You understand the grand scheme of things so that you can dismiss any questions about it?

        > Is it really important in the grand scheme of things??
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 17, 2013
          Mary,

          Good to hear you are well into Holt's book.

          I have decided to read Krauss's book first as it seems more focussed on the science, so I thought I'd try to understand the new scientific theories about the start of the universe before tackling the philosophical issues which, I guess, get more attention in Holt's book.

          I am not very far into Krauss's book, so I'll do a few more days reading before venturing to discuss his ideas.

          Hopefully we can get a good discussion going in a short while.

          Jim
        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 18, 2013
            It isn't that I understand the grand scheme of things. I am simply putting
            the question as to whether a focus on "nothingness" is of any importance.
            Its a question.

            In the next moment in which you decide what you will choose to do, does
            "nothingness" have any part in that decision. I doubt it.