Re: Books

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
      Mary, Doug,

      I agree that Sartre's hell and Nietzsche's eternal recurrence are both one-sided extremes which don't capture enough of the components of human existence, and are not really suitable for ordinary people like us who are a mixture of good and bad, with good days and bad days.

      I find that solitariness and living-with-others are both aspects of the good life for me: each complements the other. After a period of solitariness, I can appreciate the company of my friends and family all the more, and after a period of living with others I can appreciate the stillness and silence of being on my own again.

      Even existentialists like Kierkegaard and Nietzsche who wrote positively about the solitary existence had close friends who they met and wrote to throughout their lives.

      One advantage I find in favour of solitariness is that it gives me the space and environment to think. I find thinking more difficult when I am in the middle of the hustle and bustle of community life.

      On the other hand, my thoughts benefit from the criticism of others, so even progress with thinking requires interaction with others.

      Jim
    • existlist
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Doug Viener <duditz72@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Hermit Crab will do. I would say the core of my personal dilemma is a sense to belong. I think Sartre got it wrong. Hell is NOT other people. We exist through other people, we have meaning through other people. As I said its just a germ of an idea.

        ===Doug,
        Honoring your concrete human experience is what existentialism is all about, I gather. So you sense a yearning to belong and find value and meaning in interaction with other people. You've thought it through and apparently you act on it by seeking out other people, right? So what is the dilemma? I don't think existentialist writers were starting a religion and were asking for followers. I think you're supposed to figure out what works for you and follow through. Your circumstances may change and then you may need to rethink and spend more time alone, it's hard to say. I do think that solitude and being quiet can be very useful (& pleasant) but we're individuals with differing wants and needs and what may work for one may not work for another. There's no one size fits all when it comes to concrete human experience.

        h.

        h.
      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
          Sometimes solitude is a rest period. After spending 8 hours or so on the
          phone and talking directly with people throughout the day, it's nice to get
          away and alone with my pussycat.