Re: [existlist] Re: Books

  • Doug Viener
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
      Does anyone post here? I was looking for a lively discussion group. If not can someone point me to one that is?
      Thanks

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:44 PM, Doug Viener <duditz72@...> wrote:

      > Thanks that site is quite good. I bought Kaufman's reader along with Irrational man by Barrett and a few other books to start. I was a philosophy major in college and have always had an affinity for area thought. I hope this is a good place to post questions as I read. My ambition is to one day read Being and Time :)
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Apr 9, 2013, at 2:40 PM, "Mary" <josephson45r@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Welcome, Doug
      > >
      > > Thomas Flynn's Short Introduction to Existentialism is a brief survey but doesn't include texts from the many and varied writers of the philosophy. If you can indicate what particular aspects of existentialism interest you, we might better direct you to some appropriate texts. After reading Flynn you might have a better idea of where to begin. Even our list owner's "Existential Primer" (Related Link) which is shown on the homepage may help.
      > >
      > > Mary
      > >
      > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Doug Viener <duditz72@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I started a topic about this but just in case I was curious of any good primer books on existential to get started with?
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Doug
      > > >

      > > > Sent from my iPhone

    • hermit crab
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 12, 2013
        Hi Doug,
        I say put down the books and tell us, do you feel a sense of disorientation
        and confusion in the face of a meaningless or absurd world? That phrase
        came directly from the existentialism wiki page. What is your concrete
        human experience? Once you've begun to fill in those blanks, I am sure I
        and others here will talk your head off.

        h.

        On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Doug Viener <duditz72@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Does anyone post here? I was looking for a lively discussion group. If not
        > can someone point me to one that is?
        > Thanks
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:44 PM, Doug Viener <duditz72@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Thanks that site is quite good. I bought Kaufman's reader along with
        > Irrational man by Barrett and a few other books to start. I was a
        > philosophy major in college and have always had an affinity for area
        > thought. I hope this is a good place to post questions as I read. My
        > ambition is to one day read Being and Time :)
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPhone
        > >
        > > On Apr 9, 2013, at 2:40 PM, "Mary" <josephson45r@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Welcome, Doug
        > > >
        > > > Thomas Flynn's Short Introduction to Existentialism is a brief survey
        > but doesn't include texts from the many and varied writers of the
        > philosophy. If you can indicate what particular aspects of existentialism
        > interest you, we might better direct you to some appropriate texts. After
        > reading Flynn you might have a better idea of where to begin. Even our list
        > owner's "Existential Primer" (Related Link) which is shown on the homepage
        > may help.
        > > >
        > > > Mary

        > good primer books on existential to get started with?

      • lock67ca
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 12, 2013
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Doug Viener <duditz72@...> wrote:

          > I started a topic about this but just in case I was curious of any good primer books on existential to get started with?
          > Thanks,
          > Doug
          >

          > Sent from my iPhone

          Modern Library's Basic Writings of Existentialism is also quite good and contains selections from many of the leading existential thinkers, as well as selections from novels and short stories.
        • Doug Viener
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 12, 2013
            Thanks Hermit Crab will do. I would say the core of my personal dilemma is a sense to belong. I think Sartre got it wrong. Hell is NOT other people. We exist through other people, we have meaning through other people. As I said its just a germ of an idea.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 12, 2013
              Doug,

              Hell is SOME people but not all, and this famous statement does not represent Sartre's entire body of thought. I agree that we have being and meaning because of others but not everyone ,and that we have the freedom and responsibility to choose. There are some who will exploit those who need to belong, but there are also some who recognize this desire as mutual. Authenticity is the road to finding those with whom you belong, but we also learn much from those so different from us we'd never be 'with' them in any sense except contentious engagement. So I guess you can say we belong with some only in the negative sense, which is the essence of "No Exit," and from which the characters had no escape. What has always captivated me about their dilemma is the question of there actually being no escape, that we could be stuck for eternity with the same group of people. In that scenario, we'd have to work things out. I also like it as a metaphor for the human condition: new cast of characters but the same miserable problems over and over and over ...

            • Doug Viener
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 12, 2013
                Mary first of all I wouldn't presume to mean that statement was the sum total of Sartre's philosophy. Secondly, well said that's a lot to chew on. Also, disgracefully I have to say I have never read "No Exit" just something else to add to the reading list :)

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 12, 2013
                  Doug,

                  It isn't necessary to read everything; you can also read some some synopses and commentaries. My opinion about Sartre's "hell" and Nietzsche's "eternal recurrence" is they are so one-sided. Who know anyone who is so totally evil or good they would want either of their options? Sartre's Hell was peopled with characters whose victims weren't there to condemn them; total strangers refused to see them as they wished to be seen, and this made their hell true punishment. They couldn't start over; their crimes followed them. With Nietzsche telling us to love our Fate, I would ask him which day did he mean? With which people is our Fate to eternally recur? The more meaningful relationships, the more opportunities for belonging, the less opportunity for the objectifying gaze of others, which probably seems counterintuitive for the solitary. But as I've maintained here for years, true solitaries aren't interested in convincing others to be solitary.

                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
                    Mary, Doug,

                    I agree that Sartre's hell and Nietzsche's eternal recurrence are both one-sided extremes which don't capture enough of the components of human existence, and are not really suitable for ordinary people like us who are a mixture of good and bad, with good days and bad days.

                    I find that solitariness and living-with-others are both aspects of the good life for me: each complements the other. After a period of solitariness, I can appreciate the company of my friends and family all the more, and after a period of living with others I can appreciate the stillness and silence of being on my own again.

                    Even existentialists like Kierkegaard and Nietzsche who wrote positively about the solitary existence had close friends who they met and wrote to throughout their lives.

                    One advantage I find in favour of solitariness is that it gives me the space and environment to think. I find thinking more difficult when I am in the middle of the hustle and bustle of community life.

                    On the other hand, my thoughts benefit from the criticism of others, so even progress with thinking requires interaction with others.

                    Jim
                  • existlist
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
                      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Doug Viener <duditz72@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Hermit Crab will do. I would say the core of my personal dilemma is a sense to belong. I think Sartre got it wrong. Hell is NOT other people. We exist through other people, we have meaning through other people. As I said its just a germ of an idea.

                      ===Doug,
                      Honoring your concrete human experience is what existentialism is all about, I gather. So you sense a yearning to belong and find value and meaning in interaction with other people. You've thought it through and apparently you act on it by seeking out other people, right? So what is the dilemma? I don't think existentialist writers were starting a religion and were asking for followers. I think you're supposed to figure out what works for you and follow through. Your circumstances may change and then you may need to rethink and spend more time alone, it's hard to say. I do think that solitude and being quiet can be very useful (& pleasant) but we're individuals with differing wants and needs and what may work for one may not work for another. There's no one size fits all when it comes to concrete human experience.

                      h.

                      h.
                    • eduardathome
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
                        Sometimes solitude is a rest period. After spending 8 hours or so on the
                        phone and talking directly with people throughout the day, it's nice to get
                        away and alone with my pussycat.