Re: [existlist] Re: Poking at nothing

  • wsindarius
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
      Jim,

      The trick is to spend far too much on both the journal and the pen. Then one's sense of responsibility takes over.

      Wil

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
        The Holt book has arrived, and since it seems more relevant to existentialism proper, I'll tackle it first as well as a family matter which demands much of my energy. Thank you for your patience.

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
          Jim,

          I'm halfway through Holt's book about to begin the Interlude titled Nausea. I'm enjoying his brief introduction to the various theories about why there's something rather than nothing. Of course it's difficult to accept or reject these without more in-depth attention, except for the god theory; I did give that adequate attention. I need to spend a little time thinking about the how the law of contradiction works, because contradiction, opposition, and negation are all part of his speculative reason.

          Have you started with Holt's or Krauss' book first, or neither yet? I remember Wil said he read the Krauss book already. Anybody else?

          > All,
          >
          > I've ordered both Holt's book and Krauss's - so hopefully I'll have both sides of the story of nothing before too long.
          >
          > Jim

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
            Is it really important in the grand scheme of things??

            I suppose one can always ask the question and theoretical scientists are
            certainly busy trying to formulating an answer. But isn't this something
            like asking why there was the car accident I didn't have because I left work
            early.

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
              You understand the grand scheme of things so that you can dismiss any questions about it?

              > Is it really important in the grand scheme of things??
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 17, 2013
                Mary,

                Good to hear you are well into Holt's book.

                I have decided to read Krauss's book first as it seems more focussed on the science, so I thought I'd try to understand the new scientific theories about the start of the universe before tackling the philosophical issues which, I guess, get more attention in Holt's book.

                I am not very far into Krauss's book, so I'll do a few more days reading before venturing to discuss his ideas.

                Hopefully we can get a good discussion going in a short while.

                Jim
              • eduardathome
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 18, 2013
                  It isn't that I understand the grand scheme of things. I am simply putting
                  the question as to whether a focus on "nothingness" is of any importance.
                  Its a question.

                  In the next moment in which you decide what you will choose to do, does
                  "nothingness" have any part in that decision. I doubt it.