Re: Me-ings

  • fictiveparrot
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
      > Regardless of the interpretation I make,
      > if I've never thought about something until
      > I've read someone else's thought about it,
      > I don't feel I should take credit for it.

      You cannot think someone else's thoughts. What you can do in a fair sense is say "when I was reading XYZ, it seemed to me that he was saying..." but all you are doing is apologizing for interpreting someone else's words -- i.e., having a thought.

      Thoughtless Monk
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
        Mary,

        Thank you for your reply.

        I have felt all along with our discussion of being and nothing that I have been intellectually at my limit. As Wil has said this topic is of the utmost difficulty, and at a certain depth understanding gives out for everyone.

        With regard to the current discussion with Knott, I very much agree with what you write:

        "Regardless of the interpretation I make, if I've never thought about something until I've read someone else's thought about it, I don't feel I should take credit for it."

        In fact honest philosophers and scientists always acknowledge in footnotes ideas which they have taken from other writers. And students have to acknowledge ideas they take from others, otherwise they can be charged with plagiarism. In Knott's world plagiarism could not exist, unless it was a case of just copying out the words of another thinker.

        Jim