Re: Meanderthings

  • fictiveparrot
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31 6:04 PM
      > > Well, if you think it, it is necessarily yours.
      > > How do you think someone else's thoughts?

      > Well then, how are Wil's thoughts not his own?

      Did you think you had cleverly cornered me?

      I believe that was exactly what I was suggesting. His ideas are his and he should stop blaming other people for them and be prepared to defend them. He is giving his ideas false glory and grandeur by attributing them to someone else who has a more respected name -- and dissuading argument. It's a sorta cheap trick. I don't care what he thinks Hegel might have said via his interpretation.

      If you are going to stand on the shoulder of gnats, you might as well go ahead and squash them.

      Mihaithoughtz Mihone
    • wsindarius
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 31 6:20 PM
        I do not mention other writers to give my own thoughts credence. I mention them so as to give those I am having a conversation with a reference. Only if I am asked what I think X said about Y will I try to speak for that author, and it is always understood that such interpretations are both my own and are subject to criticism.

        Wil

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
          Knott,

          I have no need to corner nor prove to be clever.

          Regardless of the interpretation I make, if I've never thought about something until I've read someone else's thought about it, I don't feel I should take credit for it.

          Mary

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "fictiveparrot" <knott12@...> wrote:

          > > > Well, if you think it, it is necessarily yours.
          > > > How do you think someone else's thoughts?
          >
          > > Well then, how are Wil's thoughts not his own?
          >
          > Did you think you had cleverly cornered me?
          >
          > I believe that was exactly what I was suggesting. His ideas are his and he should stop blaming other people for them and be prepared to defend them. He is giving his ideas false glory and grandeur by attributing them to someone else who has a more respected name -- and dissuading argument. It's a sorta cheap trick. I don't care what he thinks Hegel might have said via his interpretation.
          >
          > If you are going to stand on the shoulder of gnats, you might as well go ahead and squash them.
          >
          > Mihaithoughtz Mihone

        • fictiveparrot
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
            > Regardless of the interpretation I make,
            > if I've never thought about something until
            > I've read someone else's thought about it,
            > I don't feel I should take credit for it.

            You cannot think someone else's thoughts. What you can do in a fair sense is say "when I was reading XYZ, it seemed to me that he was saying..." but all you are doing is apologizing for interpreting someone else's words -- i.e., having a thought.

            Thoughtless Monk
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
              Mary,

              Thank you for your reply.

              I have felt all along with our discussion of being and nothing that I have been intellectually at my limit. As Wil has said this topic is of the utmost difficulty, and at a certain depth understanding gives out for everyone.

              With regard to the current discussion with Knott, I very much agree with what you write:

              "Regardless of the interpretation I make, if I've never thought about something until I've read someone else's thought about it, I don't feel I should take credit for it."

              In fact honest philosophers and scientists always acknowledge in footnotes ideas which they have taken from other writers. And students have to acknowledge ideas they take from others, otherwise they can be charged with plagiarism. In Knott's world plagiarism could not exist, unless it was a case of just copying out the words of another thinker.

              Jim