Re: Guantanamo

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
      Wil,

      It is similar here. The Labour Party generally disappoint when in office, but at least they are less bad than the Conservatives.

      We are not very good at apologizing for past injustices and crimes. David Cameron had the opportunity recently to apologize for a massacre of Indians around one hundred years ago, but he failed to do so.

      Jim
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
        Jim,

        The Red Cross will routinely visit the fasting detainees this week and then report back to those who oversee the facility. Their report is not made public, which makes it less likely a majority of Americans will demand action. I also read a report which says our president authorized $50 to build a new facility on the current site.

        http://bigstory.ap.org/article/us-military-says-guantanamo-hunger-strike-edges

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
          That should be $50 million.

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
            Further clarification. I couldn't find a source for the story about the $50M authorization but did find a NY Times article which indicates the Pentagon has only requested the funds.

            http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/pentagon-wants-to-build-new-prison-at-guantanamo/?smid=tw-nytimesatwar&seid=auto

            I'm totally opposed to the inhumane treatment of prisoners as well as opposed to detaining them without trial. It was Congress that included the continued operation of Gitmo in their latest defense bill which Obama signed. The public's will to control guns has gone virtually nowhere in Congress also. Congress maintains that U.S. citizens don't want to house detainees here and that repatriation abroad is dangerous if not impossible.

            What are the dangers of the precedent for the expanded power of executive order if and when the GOP returns to power? Yet I also don't think the balance of power is the issue as much as it is that our representatives don't represent us. Many of them 'vote their consciences' which means whoever lobbies them hardest gets represented.

            That politics and activism depend on money disheartens me immensely.

            > That should be $50 million.

            > > Jim,
            > >
            > > The Red Cross will routinely visit the fasting detainees this week and then report back to those who oversee the facility. Their report is not made public, which makes it less likely a majority of Americans will demand action. I also read a report which says our president authorized $50 to build a new facility on the current site.
            > >
            > > http://bigstory.ap.org/article/us-military-says-guantanamo-hunger-strike-edges

          • wsindarius
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
              Mary, Jim,

              There was a fellow on Hardball, I think it was, who was arguing in favor of Gitmo, saying that the prisoners there were treated much better than the US prison population at large who often suffer long stays in isolation, are poorly fed, abused, sexually attacked, etc. Recent stories in the NYT, Slate and Huff Post have borne out those facts. The US is a terribly harsh place, with an inhumane 'justice' system, much of it privatized for profit, and with the largest prison population anywhere else in the world or in history.

              Wil

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
                Mary, Wil,

                This absurd situation where the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay are held outside any state, without being charged, without a trial, without any rights, seems to give empirical support to Giorgio Agamben's idea of the `Homo Sacer' or the `State of Exception' as described in those books of the same name.

                I have read `Homo Sacer' but I have to admit I struggled to understand it. Agamben seemed to be saying that it was a logical entailment of a state with laws giving rights to its citizens that the law could only be validated if there were human's who had `bare life' as beings outside the law with no rights and no recognition.

                Going back to Obama – I don't see why he cannot return the unfortunate individuals to their countries of origin – at least one is a British citizen. I would imagine that after eleven years of incarceration and possible torture, they would be broken men, incapable of taking up a life of terrorism.

                Jim
              • Peter ciccariello
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
                  Jim,

                  I think that is the point. There is no logic, reason or rationale here...
                  it is pure and unadulterated repressive absurdity, and for those inmates,
                  what is left to do but try to regain a form of dignity as per Fanon through
                  violence. In this case the only remaining target, oneself. I am so troubled
                  with this, and cannot help but ponder Kafka's "hunger artist"

                  - Peter

                  --
                  New work gallery - http://invisiblenotes.blogspot.com/
                  Poetry and writing - http://poemsfromprovidence.blogspot.com/

                  You can find my art and writing updates on Twitter
                  https://twitter.com/ciccariello

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 27, 2013
                    Not to mention MSNBC (owned by GE) also airs prison documentaries while being in the prison and security business. So not only does Foucault's business of creating delinquency come to mind, but apropos Peter's comment about Kafka's Starving Artist, one might also, not so cynically, envision a reality series which imitates that cruel voyeurism wherein viewers can vote for which inmate can go all the way and 'win' the competition of Best Starving Artist.