Genes and Jews

  • Rajiv Pande
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2000
      Dear Delia and Chris,
      I fully agree with Delia. Please, when making startling announcements, let us all be very soundly backed up. Moreover poetry should stick to abstract forms, and not specific world objects - it's unethical to be so blunt in poetic form. Chris, maybe you should think about this a bit. You may be unduly fascinated by what may in fact be a very mundane prosaic sort of thing, and personally, such fascination tends to get a little morbid, especially when it starts getting into the little narrow by-lanes of ordinary life. Poetry is supposed to transcend, to give us a visionary freedom above the ordinary - unless of course you do not mean to be poetic at all!
      Regards
      Rajiv
      PS For example, I'd rather learn about Newton's laws of motion in mathematical form - poetry just is not the way to express such ideas!

      [This message contained attachments]
    • Charles Vermont
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2000
        Rajiv, I feel obliged to take issue with your last post because of the following phrases:

        >poetry should stick to abstract forms<

        >it's unethical to be so blunt in poetic form<

        >Poetry is supposed to transcend<

        Just because you choose to see poetry this way, why should the rest of us 'have' to adopt this view. Are you trying to make your relationship with the list conditional on us all adopting the same attitude.

        I sometimes write poetry, and more often compose song lyrics. I always try to avoid the abstract and the transcendent.

        Charles Vermont
        london.uk